Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Department of Justice (arestocrat) ransome screen

• Please log in to reply

potato63

potato63

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Running XP home on Dell. My desktop coputer got infected this morning and cannot get past the ransom screen. While surfing I got a request to download Adobe Flash player. Not sure if that is relevant. Tried all the start ups with safe mode, safe mode with dos, etc. Tried the fix you suggested to others on 328947 and 329006 with the OTLPE program. Everything ran with a large file created. Was not sure how to exit program. Should I click "Fix it"? Can manuever on this screen and copied a couple important files to jump drive. Had to power down. Rebooted with disc out of CD drive and got same issue. Looking for Help. Thanks

Edited by potato63, 13 April 2013 - 07:49 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Let our malware Guru's help. Go to the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum, read the first post and follow instructions.

Come back here once you get a clean bill of health if you still have problems.

potato63

potato63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I went to where I think you were directing me to go and made the AVG recovery disc. I booted up with this disk and the scan program started. The menu choices were a little more complicated than in the instructions. I just took the default on all of them. It went out on the internet and brought down current virus deinitions. Started the scan. It quit a 57% "Scan ended with unknown return code" message was given and the only highlighted option was "Cancel". Ran it again and got the same thing. It did show each time that virus found .....Java/Agent. there we two entries for this. Thanks.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Start a new topic in the malware forum with that info. Also add a link to this thread.