Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox 20.0.1 tabs issue

• Please log in to reply

Annoyance

Annoyance

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi

I am having an issue with firefox 20.0.1

where if i download anything on a webpage Ie: software,pdf anything the whole tabs bar disappears and i am only left with the single window with no tabs until firefox is restarted i know it a little thing but annoying so I have currently gone back to 19.0.2 as this one is so far not giving me any trouble.

not changed anything apart from update to and from the said versions.

I have tried disabling and enabling my addons (no joy)

I am on Windows 7 x64

so if anyone has had this issue or knows of a solution that would be great it might be a case of wait and see if a later update fixes or addresses my issue.

any advice would be great

Regards
Paul

Advertisements

TheBigHelper

TheBigHelper

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Have you tried opening Firefox in safe mode. If not try it out. Just incase you don't know, you can do it by holding down the shift key while opening firefox. I'm currently using firefox 20.0.1 too and doesn't have this problem. But I see the download bar has gone to the top and is quite different. It is not recommended to roll back to a previous version since Firefox releases any bugs/vulnerabilities which were on the previous version of firefox while releasing a new version. I'll try and come up with a solution.

Annoyance

Annoyance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks for your reply:

I have updated back to version 20.0.1

tryed safe mode and it did not happen .. so means it is something i have added or changed but i went in and disabled ALL my Addons extensions and plugins but yet again it still happens so this is a mystery to me.

Regards
Paul

Annoyance

Annoyance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi

I thought id put a detailed description exactly what is happening:

Step 1 open firefox goes to hompage which is google

Step 1.jpg

Step 2 search for something in this instance i will search for virgin trains layout clicked on the first one it is a pdf

Step 2.jpg

Step 3 Clicked ok to open file with adobe reader (i know i could use the in built one but i prefer it this way) and boom the tab bar has gone

Step 3.jpg

well that is how i found out but I can get there by simply just pressing the downloads button also same thing tabs bar disappears

another point is on my sister's account this does not happen at all on her firefox

hope this helps

Regards
Paul

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Just as an aside are you using some kind of Firefox browser skin as that layout is not the normal appearance.

Annoyance

Annoyance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi

No that is not a skin just a custom layout by right clicking and choosing customize adding spacing and buttons etc etc

regards
paul

Edited by Pauldoc1975, 15 April 2013 - 03:30 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok Paul thanks for that. :)

Annoyance

Annoyance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi

Something else I have just noticed it might be related or not is that my Internet Explorer 10 is acting strange like I cannot save the search settings in google you know that page that let's you choose whether to keep instant results or not it appears but there is no save button not there at all it looks like it telling me that I need to sign in to change settings.

But go figure this one it is there in the InPrivate browsing mode which is as useless as a empty flask in the dessert.

The reason I say it could be related is both problems go away when running a condensed form of said browsers

Firefox Safe mode: Tab problem no longer there everything working normally

IE10 InPrivate Mode: Google Search Settings Save Button is there so no problem

This whole thing is mighty strange with this new element of the Internet explorer going strange on me it only adds to my confusion but maybe to someone who knows the inner workings of browsers it may be a revelation.

not quite sure how to proceed

before the IE thing I was considering completely taking out firefox and putting it back in but if they are related then my guess is that would be pointless

hope someone has some ideas on what I can do next

Regards
Paul

Annoyance

Annoyance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi

Update I did a reset on my firefox .. tab problem seems to have been fixed any problems I will re- post. :cool:

IE thingy I dunno about i will just live with it I guess :rolleyes:

Regards
Paul