Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sony VGN-FS920 PCG7L1L wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

brisingr

brisingr

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
My girlfriend has an old Sony Vaio laptop - VGN-FS920 PCG-7L1L She tells me it died years ago after only a year of use. She tried to turn it on one day and nothing happened. It's been sitting around for years and so I figured it try to get it to turn on. The only sign of life i can get is the battery indicator on the front flashes orange when its pluged in. nothing happens when i press the power button (no additional lights or anythign).

What i tried-

1. Tried powering on without the battery in the laptop.
2. removed and reinserted ram
3. held power button for various amounts of time with the battery in and out.

Edited by brisingr, 13 April 2013 - 10:11 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Hello brisingr

Does the battery indicator light flash when only the battery is inserted and no AC adapter connected.
Does the AC adapter have an LED on it that illuminates when it is connected to the mains power and if so does it light up when plugged into the power outlet.

Quality brands such as Sony do not often fail when only a year old, the bad news is that if they do it is often due to a MB or CPU failure, overheating is a common cause of this and brought about by CPU fan failure frying the processor and incorrect use by the owner such as using the notebook on soft furnishings such as cushions, pillows and quilts etc.

brisingr

brisingr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Battery logo Led only flashes when both battery is in and power cable connected. As for the ac power cable... It works because its actually the one she uses for her current Sony vaio. I know it's probably best to use original cord but that's 300 miles away and the current power cable fits and DOES at least cause the battery indicator to flash (I'm assuming its compatible enough).

I thought the same about overheating but that would have caused it to cut off while in use I'm guessing. This one just failed to boot one morning.

(Laptop was only ever used on a desk)

Edited by brisingr, 14 April 2013 - 09:34 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts

Battery logo Led only flashes when both battery is in and power cable connected.

That was what I was checking for as it shows that the battery is completely dead.

It works because its actually the one she uses for her current Sony vaio. I know it's probably best to use original cord but that's 300 miles away and the current power cable fits and DOES at least cause the battery indicator to flash (I'm assuming its compatible enough).

You know that the AC adapter that you are using works which is fine but they are not all compatible and may use more or less volts etc, check the details on the adapter that you are using against the details for the correct replacement adapter at the link http://www.laptop-po...0-pcg-7l1l.html

A computer can fail at any time whether it is in use or not, desktop computer PSUs are known for this as are notebook MBs.

Let us know whether the present AC adapter that you are using is compatible or not please.

brisingr

brisingr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Yup it's 19.5 volts. Which is what it calls for

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
As the notebook will not power up with the correct voltage AC adapter (and 4 amp output I hope) it suggests either a MB (including the power on button) or a CPU problem, both of these require almost a full dismantle to check out so unless you are confident enough to take on the task yourself it is best left to a suitably qualified tech or competent person.

brisingr

brisingr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I could prob take it apart. Problem is if it requires any money to fix it becomes not worth it. The laptop isn't worth the money it would cost to replace anything

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
You have nothing to lose by investigating, you may find something obvious such as broken/jammed cooling fan or power button cable/wire etc.

brisingr

brisingr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Was thinking about just pulling the HD and picking up an enclosure to save whatever may still be on the drive. plus free drive :). as long as the enclosure isnt crazy expensive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Always an idea but please do check if it is the SATA or IDE type of HDD before you obtain an enclosure.

As an asides I was going to suggest that you remove the HDD and see if it changes the behavior of the notebook in any way, another suggestion is to leave the battery charging for a full 24hrs without making any attempt to see if the battery has charged or if the notebook will turn on.

brisingr

brisingr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
It is a Fujitsu MHV2080AT 80GB harddrive. I THINK its a IDE... but im not sure. The guy at best buy told me to buy a SATA enclosure but i didnt think that was right so i held off.

Should i buy this http://www.amazon.co...p/dp/B000FNBYKW

or this one (the one the best buy guy wanted me to buy) - http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B009EESUN2

or are both wrong? lol

Edited by brisingr, 14 April 2013 - 09:27 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Does the HDD have a 40 pin connection.

The details that I can find suggest that you are correct with the IDE type http://www.amazon.co...p/dp/B000FNBYKW

The HDD is listed as IDE http://www.geeks.com...HV2080AT-NDW-NP

But if in doubt http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817388010

brisingr

brisingr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
It has 47 pins by my count. I'm assuming it'd work in a standard IDE enclosure like the one you posted from newegg or the one from amazon.

Edit-

I'll probably buy the one from newegg after reading the good reviews. seems a more versatile well made case.

I do think it's weird that it has a separate optional power USB cord-

"USB Powered (from additional USB port) *if required"

People say you dont need both the usb and usb power cable to run IDE or SATA. Whats the point of a seperate power cable if it runs without it...

Sorry for the twenty questions over the last few days. Thanks for the guidance! looking forward to getting this drive up and running finally.

Edited by brisingr, 16 April 2013 - 08:31 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
http://www.google.co...8Q9QEwAA&dur=98

The separate power cord is primarily for notebooks which can have a low power output going to the USB ports and so would not be able to support an external enclosure.

You are welcome BTW and please ask as many questions as you feel that you need to :thumbsup: