Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Ports Not Working Unless Plugged In At Boot

• Please log in to reply

WintryElf

WintryElf

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi there. I'm running a HP Pavilion g6 notebook, model 1d85ca. The issue that I'm having at present is that as of today, my notebook fails to recognize anything I put into its USB ports, including an external hard drive, a wired laser mouse, a wireless mini mouse and a USB stick, unless said device is already in the USB port at boot. If it is, then it will work as long as it is not unplugged -- and as soon as it is unplugged, it cannot be plugged back in or plugged into any other USB port, because they will not recognize it anymore. Also, with regard to the external hard drive and USB stick, the computer knows that they are plugged in (the hard drive lights up, begins to spin) but they are not recognized (They are not shown in the list of drives and I cannot access them or view the files within).

I have attempted to refresh the USB stack by reinstalling all USB drivers in the device manager, but this does not do anything. (At one point, attempting to uninstall a USB driver resulted in a BSOD with the code "BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER", but this has not happened since.)

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
In theory USB connections are what is termed "hot swappable" which means the devices can be removed/connected whilst the machine is active.

However this could lead to problems where data exchange is still taking place.

In windows vista it is always better to use the "safely remove device" aspect whereas in windows 7 I have found that there is no need to do this.

I personally always like to connect or disconnect USB devices before the machine boots up or after the machine has shut down.

WintryElf

WintryElf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi there,

I really appreciate your taking time to reply, but given that I'm running Win7, it doesn't really do much to help me in this case. :P

Thanks again, though! I'm continuing to experience this issue and would still welcome any and all replies.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Have you tried the Operating System Enhancements and QFE's download from the HP Support site as the download addresses a USB issue.

http://h10025.www1.h...t=5242958#N1131

WintryElf

WintryElf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I just downloaded and installed that package (sp57063.exe), and upon installation with reboot, the problem continues to occur. I was hoping that that would fix it, too... it's rather a large inconvenience. :P

Attached is a picture of the USB section of my devmgmt console. Everything listed within it has been uninstalled and allowed to reinstall many times, but the problem continues to persist as it is described in my first post. Hopefully this might help.

Edited by WintryElf, 15 April 2013 - 01:37 AM.

WintryElf

WintryElf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

I just downloaded and installed that package (sp57063.exe), and upon installation with reboot, the problem continues to occur. I was hoping that that would fix it, too... it's rather a large inconvenience. :P

Attached is a picture of the USB section of my devmgmt console. Everything listed within it has been uninstalled and allowed to reinstall many times, but the problem continues to persist as it is described in my first post. Hopefully this might help.

It would help if I were to actually attach the screenshot.

Attached Thumbnails

• Devmgmt.PNG

Edited by WintryElf, 15 April 2013 - 01:38 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The USB's listing is perfectly fine as you can see.

Are you still unplugging and reattaching devices while windows is running?

WintryElf

WintryElf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'm trying to, but Windows does not recognize them. It doesn't even know that anything is within the ports -- the LEDs on my mouse do not light up, the external hard drive does not light up or spin, etc.

However, if I turn off the computer and then turn it back on with the devices already in the USB ports, they will function, but as soon as they are unplugged, they will no longer be recognized anymore. It is also worth noting that the external hard drive has never worked when I've booted with it in the port - it lights up and begins to spin, but it can't actually be accessed from the computer -- I can't see what's inside of it or access any files. The same goes for the USB stick. But booting with either of my mice in the ports already will cause them to work fine until unplugged.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I think the external hard drive and the stick are beyond help with the constant connection disconnection that has taken place.

When you have connected the mouse have you given windows time to recognise it?

I could partially understand disconnecting the hard drive and stick but why keep disconnecting a mouse?

WintryElf

WintryElf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'm not sure you understood me correctly. Let me try to rephrase:

1) I have never done any constant reconnecting/disconnecting at any time. When I booted up my computer two days ago, all USB ports failed to recognize anything from the start. I did not do any reconnecting/disconnecting that caused them to break. It happened all of a sudden and was present on boot with no interference on my part.

2) The external and USB work fine in other computers, but not this one.

3) My issue is that:

-If I boot with the devices ALREADY in the USB ports, they function until unplugged
-When unplugged, they cannot be plugged back in as they will not be recognized.
-If I boot with the devices OUT of the USB ports, none of the USB ports will recognize anything (the same as if I had put them in before booting and then unplugged them).

EDIT: Yes, I give Windows adequate time to recognize anything I plug into the USB ports (1min+).

Edited by WintryElf, 15 April 2013 - 01:57 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
To my mind I am understanding you perfectly well.

You quite freely say that all devices work when connected before boot up so I must ask what the reason is for you to disconnect them before shutting down and risking damage to them?

WintryElf

WintryElf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Well, they're USB devices -- they're hot swappable, just like you said, especially in Windows 7. Disconnecting a USB device before shutdown, such as a mouse, doesn't risk damage to the mouse -- so I have to ask what you mean? There are many reasons for me to disconnect a USB device -- for example, if I watched a movie on my external, closed the video program and ensured that there was no ongoing data transfer nor any communication between the device and my computer, and then unplugged it, why would it result in a negative impact on the device? I feel that that isn't the root of my problem, and that it lies instead in the way my computer communicates with its USB devices and something wrong within that field...

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You've tried ininstalling and reinstalling all the USB's so all I can suggest is that you use the Safely Remove Hardware option.

If that doesn't work then I am out of ideas mate.

WintryElf

WintryElf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Alright. Thanks for trying to help :) I really appreciate the prompt replies I can always look forward to at G2G.

Of course, I'm still open to all contributions -- I'm still actively working on trying to find a fix. Next on the list is to redownload drivers for the USB mouse to start, because when I boot the computer with it plugged in it seems to be recognized as "G500" while it looks for drivers, then changes to "USB Input Device" -- leading me to think that Windows doesn't exactly know what it is. Here's hoping!

Any and all contributions would greatly help. :)