Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't boot, winload.exe failure?

• Please log in to reply

daveBB

daveBB

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi,

Writing this from my desktop so may have some difficulties adding diagnostics from my laptop but here we go.

My laptop won't boot. It worked fine last thursday but gave an error message since friday (my son tried booting it) and this morning (I tried). After the initial 'normal' screens I got a message (that I unfortunately cannot recall).

I then picked up my recovery disks but the only option I got out off that was to bring my laptop int he state it was in when I first got it. I guess that's a bit of a last resort as it will mean I'll lose quite a bit of data (last backup was november last year. Most of my data could be refound via email attatchments but that would cost me a lot of time).

So I refrained from this - for the moment.

After retrying, you never know after all, to boot I was send to the 'windows boot manager' screen.

It tells me that windows failed to start (duh) and asks me to repair everything by inserting my windows installation disk. That's a bit of a problem as I never got one of these when I got the laptop. I was asked to make the aforemenationed recovery disks and I assumed that would do the very same job.

It also tells me there's a problem in the file: \windows\system32\winload.exe

Now the obvious question is:

Could someone help me to restart the laptop, if possible without loss of data. Even if it's only to be able to create one last backup I'll be happy as I can then use said recovery disks.

Thanks in advance, you lot are ace!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello daveBB

What is the brand and exact model name or number of the notebook.
What OS is it Vista or W7.
Do you have the product key for the OS, commonly found on the base of the notebook.

daveBB

daveBB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Hello daveBB

What is the brand and exact model name or number of the notebook.
What OS is it Vista or W7.
Do you have the product key for the OS, commonly found on the base of the notebook.

Hi Phill,

Brand: Fujitsu Siemens
Model: Amilo Li2727 MS2228
Code: Edit: Product key removed for security.

thanks!
Dave

Edited by Wolfeymole, 14 April 2013 - 04:09 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for removing the product key Wolfeymole :thumbsup: (Sorry Dave should have stated not to post it)

You can download a Vista ISO from http://www.heidoc.ne...-download-links

We can back up your data on the HDD first using Puppy Linux if you like.

daveBB

daveBB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Thanks for removing the product key Wolfeymole :thumbsup: (Sorry Dave should have stated not to post it)

You can download a Vista ISO from http://www.heidoc.ne...-download-links

We can back up your data on the HDD first using Puppy Linux if you like.

Thanks again.
Just one question: which version should I take? The x86 or the x64?
I guess a backup first will at least set my mind at ease.

Dave

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

If your OS is the 32-bit version then you want the X86 download, if Vista is the 64-bit version you want the X64 flavor.

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
  • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-520.iso)
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click Posted Image BurnCDCC
  • Click Browse Posted Image and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start Posted Image
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK
Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second
  • Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

Posted Image

3. Recover Your Data
  • Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives[list]
  • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. Posted Image
  • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
3b. Transfer Files.
  • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

Note that there might be some other Puppy distros on the page (such as Slacko Puppy), but you need Lucid Puppy (lupu), the Ubuntu-based one. Always make sure you start downloading a file that starts with "lupu"!

daveBB

daveBB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks again.
Got the files that I needed, hooray. Luckily enough I have a backup from four months ago so the work wasn't too much. I use syncback for that.

Next step, I have a bunch of questions about that.

I have made a recovery disk when I got the laptop. Can I use that to make the laptop brand new(ish) or is it better to try and repair vista.

Also, where can I find which version (32 or 64 bit) of Vista I had.

And lastly .. I've always wanted to give Linux a try. Several friends of mine use it and are quite happy. Would this be an interesting time to make the switch and try it or would that be very unrecommendable?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Glad your data is safe :thumbsup:

First see if there is a Recovery Partition on the HDD, see below;

During the boot process keep tapping the F8 key until the menu "Advanced Boot Options" appears, if present it will give you the "Repair your Computer" function.
Once Windows has loaded a few files, "System Recovery Options" will come up, select the option "Fujitsu Siemens Computers Recovery" with the sub-item "Easy backup and recovery.

Check the product key sticker and if you still have them the user manuals for the version of OS that you have installed.

See if you can repair Vista first and then consider a dual boot set up in the future.