Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer starts very slow.

• Please log in to reply

grangran

grangran

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi I'm new to this forum the man who used to do my computer no longer is around to fix things and but before he went he recommended Geeks to go.
So here I am and i'd like to say hello and thank you for helping me.
My problem is my computer takes a long time to start up when turned on and a long time to turn off.
I have followed some of the tutorials I was left and looked at start up programs but do not know what I'm looking at, all I have done with little effect is defragment, cleaned the temp files, ran error checking and did a sfc /scannow scan which found a problem and told me to restart and it would fix it so I restarted the computer and it didn't fix the error it found. I will enclose the log.

Thank you ever so much for your help
GranGran

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.log   1.48MB   141 downloads

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: grangran

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

NB: In case you are not aware, sometimes you may need to run SFC 3 or 4 times for all repairs to be carried out successfully.

grangran

grangran

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Phillpower2
Its a Laptop Phillips Freevents
4gb of ram
Intel Core 2 Duo 2ghz mobile processor P7350
Intel Centrino 2 integrated graphics
Vista sp2
Vista 32 bit
I have run scf /scannow 4 times in a row, but alas it still reports an error.
It also locks up if I try to do anything to quick at start up. I have to leave it for a good 10 min's.

Software
TrendMicro anti virus
Malwarebytes antimalware pro
Comodo firewall
Open office
Ccleaner
Google chrome

Thank you Phillipower2
GranGran

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello grangran

Thanks for the additional information and you are welcome :thumbsup:

Go to Start then to Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Can I ask if you have a Vista installation or System Restore disk that may have been provided with the computer.

lisaglenn

lisaglenn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi grangran..
Well your system's processing seems to be down. There are several reasons for that.
The most common reasons for slow running system include :
- >Microsoft Registry Problems
- >RAM
- >De-Fragmenting & many more.
For that you can Clean windows registry that can speed up the computer.
Registry Cleaner can fix your pc errors.
Over time, you install new programs, uninstalled unimportant programs, update software's, install new devices,
download files from the web, etcetera, hence embarking all records in the registry system.
This is normal, but it is not wise to leave it untouched.
Once in a while, you have to check and remove files that are no longer in use to maintain the speed of your PC.
Clean registry make pc faster.

And Still if the problem persists that means there is a severe issue, so i suggest you to tell the entire configuration of your system including the processor and OS

grangran

grangran

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello Phillipower2
I have attached the screen shot.
Yes the man who used to fix my computer gave me a Vista home premium disk. I have no system restore disk, sorry.

Thank you
GranGran

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello grangran

No obvious problems showing with the HDD which is a good start :thumbsup:

I would remove some of your software programs but will come back to them before we are done.

Is the Vista home premium disk that you were given a full retail disk, an OEM disk or a burned copy, this is important as it may explain why the SFC repairs are not successful if an incorrect type disk is being used.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25271813

grangran

grangran

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Phillipower2

I'm having a bad time as I could no longer sign into my computer, fortunately the man who used to do my computer left me a magazine he made that explained how to re-install the operating system, I'm half way through doing this at the moment and did not forget you here. I did try the tool above but it gave me a program I installed onto my machine and no link to a page like the demo you so kindly gave a link to. I am still getting a problem with the sfc /scannow saying files are corrupted. As to your question about the Operating system disk, it's an original disk with another disk that has service pack 1 and 2 on burned onto it.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thank you Phillipower2

Grangran

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello grangran

the man who used to do my computer left me a magazine he made that explained how to re-install the operating system, I'm half way through doing this at the moment

Where are you up to with this please.

To help with running the PCPitstop test http://www.pcpitstop...top/trouble.asp

grangran

grangran

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello Phillipower
Sorry for the late reply, I'm very slow with computers and can damage them with complete ease.
I will look now at the link you so kindly provided.

Grangran

grangran

grangran

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Here is the link from the page you asked for http://www.pcpitstop...iledSummary.asp
Thanking you Phillipower2

GranGran

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello grangran,

No worries about the delay we all have other things to take care of and so understand you cannot be here all of the time :thumbsup:

Unfortunately the url that you have provided was not the correct one, the one that we need is the same as the example that I previously provided http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25271813 please see attachments below;