Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with first computer build

• Please log in to reply

Hermes39

Hermes39

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I need some help on building a computer.
Would these parts all be compatible and work well? I will be reusing a 225GB Laptop hard drive for my hard drive and I have a Windows 7 install disk.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QG3T
What tools will I need to build this computer with?
Can you recommend a certain video guide?
Will I need any special things to help prevent static? Will touching the metal part of the case from time to time be sufficient?
Are there any major flaws with this build?
and how long do you think that the shipping will take?
How does mail in rebate work?
I have lots of questions, but I just want to make sure that I completely understand everything, that I know exactly what tools I'm going to need, when I should expect my parts to come in the mail and if I would have any difficulties with this build.
If I just take a hard drive out of my laptop, I should be able to install it like a normal hard drive into a desktop, right?
Will the power supply come with all of the required cords?
Will all of the required bolts or screws come with the motherboard or case?
Please help me.
Thank you

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Hermes39, Posted Image

What tools will I need to build this computer with?
A. A #2 Phillips head screwdriver, a pair of scissors. A piece of cardboard about 1.6" square.

Can you recommend a certain video guide?
A. We will give you a text quide, easyer to follow.

Will I need any special things to help prevent static? Will touching the metal part of the case from time to time be sufficient?
A. The touch method is OK but I always use a Anti statick wrist like thgis, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16899261005

Are there any major flaws with this build?
A. Yes, see coments.

and how long do you think that the shipping will take?How does mail in rebate work?
A. Should be found on the details tab for each item ordered and instruction for the method of claiming regates but don't count rebates as part of the build costs as some you will never get.

if I just take a hard drive out of my laptop, I should be able to install it like a normal hard drive into a desktop, right?
A. It is possible to use a laptop HDD but needs a tray adaptor as it is smaller than a normal one but there could be other issues It may be too slow, they can be very hard to wipe clean, (erase DATA as they usually have a protected partition.) best to buy a new drive.

Will the power supply come with all of the required cords?Will all of the required bolts or screws come with the motherboard or case?
A. Everything you needed will be included with the various parts.

Comments.

The Case deal is not suitable, you will need a quality PSU, please read the Feedback on Newegg.
You cannot use an install disk for the build, you will need a new OS like this, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832116983
You may not need a wireless card, would sort that later.

Questions.

What would you mainly use the computer for?
In which country would you be purchasing your parts?, if the US, Please give your zip code.
What would be your budget?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

Do you still need some help? An update on your topic would be appreciated.