Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spy Hunter 4 removal

• Please log in to reply

Applied

Applied

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I downloaded Spyhunter 4 to try to remove Yontoo and now it seems I'm stuck with it. I did the uninstall from the Control Panel but there was still an icon in the lower right corner. Right clicked it and clicked exit. It's not there anymore but if I click on Show hidden icons, then Customize, there is an Icon list and on it is a reference (?) to Spyhunter4.exe and four references to spyhunter and under it it has -1%. Does that mean this thing is still installed somewhere?

I ran AVG, Malwarebytes and Spybot and none of them picked it up. I'm using Windows 7. I tried searching and didn't find an answer that would work. Thanks.

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
:welcome:

Did you try this fix?

Applied

Applied

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No luck. The program didn't recognize Spy Hunter and I don't have a product code for it.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Lets remove all Ad ware present in the computer first.

Download AdwCleaner from here to your desktop
Run AdwCleaner and select Delete

Posted Image

Once done it will ask to reboot, allow this
On reboot a log will be produced at C:\ADWCleaner[XX].txt please post it in your next reply.

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    • Change Drivers to All
    • Change Standard Registry to All
    • Under File Scans, change File age to 30
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

Dir /a:d %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Spyhunter* /s /c

• Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt (first run only). These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file and attach the Extras.Txt, if any, in your next reply.