Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading to windows 7 Advice

• Please log in to reply

Annoyance

Annoyance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
yeah that was my thoughts but now i have just realised that I only have a qtech recovery disk for XP which i think will not work so if i need to put the new board in I will put windows 7 in it then it will be a case of waiting to see if i can get the cash to buy windows 7 but I will look to get the board and the memory for now :-)

Regards
Paul

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
What does it exactly say on the XP disk that you have Paul?

I miss the good old days when one had a full OEM reinstall disk but these greedy companies for the sake of a few pence will not now do them.

I can get 4 blank DVD's for a quid.

Anyway rant over and when you come to get Windows 7 mate get it here.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B004Q0T10A

Annoyance

Annoyance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I have scanned the disk also it is Windows XP SP2 so I think that further makes it more likely that windows 7 is the way to go thanks for link :-)

Recovery disk.jpg

Regards
Paul

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
That looks like what people have to make these days as it is indeed a recovery disk based on XP being already on the system.

It was worth a shot anyway so get back to us when you can Paul. :thumbsup:

You're welcome on the link to Win 7 by the way. :)

Annoyance

Annoyance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
will do :cheers:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
:cheers:

Annoyance

Annoyance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi

I got that motherboard (ESYS p4m800-775 v3.1) on ebay and have tried to install it in my system as follows:

put it in tried to figure out how to connect it up (front usb and audio plus the tower switch)

put memory in (new)

switched over the cpu and heatsink (carefully and cleaned and re-applyed thermal paste)

I have not got the OS yet was waiting to see if this was gonna work I should be able to get to the bios screen without the OS

not sure how to connect the front audio connecters was leaving that for when i knew the system was working

but what I have now is it powers up, cd/dvd drives lights come on but no hdd light flashing or anything just nothing both fans are going just it seems not my hard drive (not sure if the hdd led connecter was right) could that be the problem but from what i read i do not think so.

I first click on the power i hear fans and then the cd/dvd drives then goes quiet for about no more than 5-7 seconds then I hear the cd/dvd drive again i think sounds like them.

so any ideas on what could be causing this.

Regards
Paul

Annoyance

Annoyance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi

In a dramatic twist of events I figured out that the Motherboard CPU socket got damaged ..so that's that for it, why is he not crying you ask well...

I got my OLD Motherboard to work..how it works you may ask:

1) I bought High Density Memory first time round not knowing that for the most part it is only as good as a paper weight made to look like a memory module
only found out after I had changed the mobo's over.

2)Bought correct Memory tried it and this is where I came in at post #37

3)Everything I was thinking seemed to point to the CPU, So checked it and noticed the socket was damaged (still no idea how it happened)

4) So. I decided in a last ditch attempt since I had not tried the correct memory in my OLD mobo to give that a go and Bingo it worked with the exception that 1 of the slots is indeed gone so I can only run 1 Gig on this motherboard but at least it is now working ...Running XP as if nothing had happened.

All things considering I can count myself lucky I have never ever changed or did much inside a computer before so.

I have learned so much during all of these er (Learning elements) or you could call them newbie stupidity if you like :lol:

Regards
Paul

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I did see your post yesterday Paul but I just didn't have time to reply mate I apologise.

I prefer the former in your last sentence but would call it a Learning Curve and every last one of us had to start somewhere Paul and I'm glad to see you back up and running. :thumbsup:

Wolfey

Annoyance

Annoyance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi Wolfey

Do not worry about yesterday I am just thankful there are people I can get such assistance from :thumbsup:

Yeah it certainly has been a learning curve and I have learned so much :D

I gonna leave it as it is for now so i can digest my next move

Regards
Paul

Advertisements