Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Duel booting

• Please log in to reply

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Basically yes they are and that would be fine for your needs.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
One option that you might want to consider, if the new machine is fast enough and has enough memory and enough disk, is to create a virtual machine and run the program on that. VirtualBox is free software which allow you to have virtual machines. I use Linux as the base operating system, but there are some things that I need to do under Windoze, so I have a virtual machine for that. It is much easier than dual booting.

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Or the one for 8 bucks..i have this one myself it works great.. http://www.amazon.co...sl_5s8042fxf3_b

HCIV

HCIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

One option that you might want to consider, if the new machine is fast enough and has enough memory and enough disk, is to create a virtual machine and run the program on that. VirtualBox is free software which allow you to have virtual machines. I use Linux as the base operating system, but there are some things that I need to do under Windoze, so I have a virtual machine for that. It is much easier than dual booting.

If that really works then that is amazing. It looks like I could install any operating system on my Windows 7 machine....even Windows 3.11. Speaking of that. Someone gave me their set of floppies of Windows 3.11 but it doesn't have the Product number. Is there any way I can discover what it is? The floppies are trash without it.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Forget all about wanting to install 3.1. Harold

In fact I must ask if you have ever run that particular OS with its 8 character/digit file name allowance capability only?

I can't quite believe what you have just wrote.

HCIV

HCIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Forget all about wanting to install 3.1. Harold

In fact I must ask if you have ever run that particular OS with its 8 character/digit file name allowance capability only?

I can't quite believe what you have just wrote.

No really...LOL. When I first got a computer it was Windows 3.11. I still have games I would like to play again that only run with that operating system. I would love to get it running again. I just need that stinking product code.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Let's be sensible now and get back to the main issue in hand and allow me to ask if you are ok with what has been said so far?

HCIV

HCIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Let's be sensible now and get back to the main issue in hand and allow me to ask if you are ok with what has been said so far?

Yeah....I believe so. I have a grater understanding of what I can and can't do....and so I thank you. I believe our best choice as far as the expensive program my wife has is to spend the 600 bucks and upgrade the program instead of getting a new laptop computer at this time. Her old laptop is still working and if we don't upgrade the program soon then it may be too late because they will stop offering the upgrade for the version she has. In other words it may be 600 dollars now or 1600 dollars later....and we can worry about getting a new laptop later when this one goes down for the final time.

I am being sensible about wanting to run old school software and operating systems. It would be cool. Ever hear of DosBox? That is a great program for getting all those DOS programs running. Yes...I know how to use DOS. It's scary I guess.

Edited by HCIV, 16 April 2013 - 08:53 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Here's the crunch on your first paragraph though with regard to what you said in your initial post.

My Wife has a laptop that goes to blue screen every now and then and we think may be on it's way out as well.

You could get a perfectly adequate laptop for $600 and install her program on that as she has the disk or disks.

My reasoning here is why spend $1600, which seems an exorbitant amount, on an upgrade on a laptop that you freely admit is old and possibly on its way out?

HCIV

HCIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Here's the crunch on your first paragraph though with regard to what you said in your initial post.

My Wife has a laptop that goes to blue screen every now and then and we think may be on it's way out as well.

You could get a perfectly adequate laptop for $600 and install her program on that as she has the disk or disks.

My reasoning here is why spend $1600, which seems an exorbitant amount, on an upgrade on a laptop that you freely admit is old and possibly on its way out?

I think I need to clarify. The upgrade from version 6 of her program to version 9 would be 600 dollars. This program can only be sold through authorized dealers and every time they offer an upgrade package they drop one or two versions off the list that it is possible to upgrade from. Version 6 is about to drop off the list...possibly on the next upgrade. If that happens then we would have to buy the full program again at 1600 dollars to get it to work on a new computer. If we get the 600 dollar upgrade now then she can still use the program now and in the future when we get the new Laptop. She will be able to run it on Vista or Windows 7 but 8 is not supported. I think getting the upgrade now to avoid having to spend 1000 more dollars later is a smart choice. We don't have to get the laptop now. If worse comes to worse and the laptop she has goes out then she can still install it on our desktop.

Edited by HCIV, 16 April 2013 - 09:32 AM.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Can she get the upgrade in a disk form or can it be downloaded because if she upgrades on the old laptop and it dies then she's up a gumtree basically if not.

Also what you have to bear in mind is that should you install the program on your machine there may be license issues when she wants to run it on a new machine that she has, should her old one die.

HCIV

HCIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Can she get the upgrade in a disk form or can it be downloaded because if she upgrades on the old laptop and it dies then she's up a gumtree basically if not.

Also what you have to bear in mind is that should you install the program on your machine there may be license issues when she wants to run it on a new machine that she has, should her old one die.

The upgrade is purchased on disk from the store. I imagine we could install on a new machine if our other one dies. If we run into trouble we would just contact the maker of the software.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Well I would not know the EULA for the software that she is running so that would be the best bet Harold.

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
:confused:

HCIV

HCIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

:confused:

Veeg....you are confused about something?