Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell inspiron 570 keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply

el_jack

el_jack

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I have a problem with a dell it is running windows 7. It worked fine until someone got on it and possible downloaded a app or installed some hardware that was not compatible. but I did the windows fix scan and it stated it could not fix the issue. It suggested I unplug any recent hardware or uninstall any recent apps. The problem is the machine keeps restarting like every 2 min. it logs off then reboots. Another thing the machine never had a user name password set up at the log-on screen. Now it has one and I don't know what it is. It may be a virus but not sure. These problems continue even in safe mode.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the make and model number of the computer?

Probably the best thing to do is to restore it to it's factory new state. Normally you do this by pressing a Fn key during boot.

You will lose everything on the computer so if you need to back anything up let me know and I or one of the other folks here can guide you on doing so.

We can look at the online Users Guide to see how to do the restore to factory state.

Also, if you don't know the password, how are you logging on to do anything?

el_jack

el_jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

What is the make and model number of the computer?

Probably the best thing to do is to restore it to it's factory new state. Normally you do this by pressing a Fn key during boot.

You will lose everything on the computer so if you need to back anything up let me know and I or one of the other folks here can guide you on doing so.

We can look at the online Users Guide to see how to do the restore to factory state.

Also, if you don't know the password, how are you logging on to do anything?

I tried the f8 key advanced but the admin acct is disabled. This looks to be a virus. How can I get it to stop rebooting long enough to do a virus scan. In safe mode it will log in but after about a min or so it will shut down and restart.

el_jack

el_jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
It is a virus so I posted in the virus section for help

Here is the malware thread: http://www.geekstogo..._1#entry2285318

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, good. I added a link to the malware thread.

The Administrator account is disabled by default in Windows 7. To enable it you need to do the following:

Open a Elevated Command Prompt
Enter net user administrator /active:yes and press Enter.
How to Open an Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 7

Since the computer restarts quickly, you won't have much time to do this so read the tutorial so you know what to do then give it a try. If successful, try booting to Safe Mode and logging in as Administrator. If you can do that it will help the malware folks help you.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I see you just opened a thread here: http://www.sysnative...restarting.html

Please do not ask multiple site to help you for the same problem. It wastes everyones time and can be counter productive, especially since you now have a malware thread open here.