Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Believe I have a virus of some sort.

• Please log in to reply

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
What browser would you like to change the search engine in please?

Advertisements

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

What browser would you like to change the search engine in please?

Firefox. it only comes out when i type in google search then i get AOL search instead.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Open Firefox, click the arrow down to the right of the search engine name (such as AOL). Then click "Manage Search Engines".

There you can click to move them higher on the list (so become the primary search option), or choose "Get more search engines" to add one.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Alright thanks. Well everything seems to be fine now. Is there anything else you want me to do?

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Just some final steps to wrap things up here.

The logs show you have slightly outdated versions of vulnerable programs, so Go to each of these sites and update to the latest version (keep your eyes open - they often slide in "opportunities" for things like Google, or McAfee's scanner):

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
(For Adobe Reader and Flash Player - uncheck the useless McAfee scan, if offered)

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
(For Java 7 Update 21 - trying to slip Ask adware/spyware to systems lately, so watch and uncheck it)

I notice you don't seem to have Java installed, but it is helpful when viewing certain aspects of websites.

------

Eset, if you don't plan to use it again, uninstalls through the Control Panel - Uninstall/Programs and Features.

You can also at this time delete the files/folders of the tools we used. To assist with some of that, run OTL again. This will help by automatically removing some of the tools we used.

Just click CleanUp, and select Yes. When it finishes removing some of the tools and files we used there just agree to the reboot.

-------

In addition, I like to recommend reviewing the information here to make sure you stay malware free.

http://www.geekstogo...he-first-place/

http://www.geekstogo...safe-computing/

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Alright done all that thanks. Any logs you want me to post or we're good?

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
We're good. :thumbsup:

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Thanks for your time. Just one more question I would like to ask you before this topic closes. For some reason my pc won't update this windows update. Everytime I shut down the pc it says installing updates but this goes on everyday and I know that windows updates don't happen that often. Is there a way to figure out how to fix that problem? How to get these updates installed and for me to stop having that problem? Thank you.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Go HERE and download CAT – Crisis Aversion Tool, then click that cat.exe to run the tool.

When CAT opens, place a check next to:

Reset Windows Update

Then click Apply Checked Fixes, and agree to start the installer service. When it completes it's changes, click the upper left X and agree to close CAT. It will also open a log file - just close that for now.

A Caution - Please refrain from the temptation to effect other changes with CAT.

Reboot, and try updating again please.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Just did everything you asked. The thing still says I need some updates to do. Really annoying bc I have to keep restarting my pc for updates like once a week now. Is there anyway to fix this or am I stuck with this?

Advertisements

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Are their too many problem updates to post back here? Assuming they show there as failed updates:

Go to Start Search, type update, and then in the resulting list click Windows Update.

Then click View update history.

Click the Status heading to bring the failed updates to the top, if needed.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
The updates that are failed are two updates both are to do with I.E. windows explorer 9 and 10.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Repeat the steps to View update history. In that list, locate and double-click to uninstall IE 10, being sure to reboot after. It's there - you'll just have to look for it.

Then the same procedure, and uninstall IE 9. Reboot after.

Then just use Firefox as you usually do.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Hi sorry for this long topic. I just tried the thing you told me to do and i get a pop up stating "error not all the updates were uninstalled". Can't i just got to the programs and uninstall it there like how i do with other programs?

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Failed uninstall. I sense malware is still involved.

Be sure to continue to temporarily disable any protective software when running the scan tools we use here.

Download ComboFix.exe from here to your desktop, then click that to run that scan. Agree to any warnings you might receive.

A caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop.

Allow the scan to run. When completed a text window will appear - please copy/paste the contents back here. This log can also be found at C:\ComboFix.txt.