Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Believe I have a virus of some sort.

• Please log in to reply

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Export your Firefox bookmarks, which would be the only things worth saving - you can reinstall extensions etc.

Uninstall Firefox, and delete all personal settings.

Reboot, then download and reinstall Firefox.

Restore your bookmarks.

Check for change.

Advertisements

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Just wanted to check in to let you know im still here. Ill be doing this tonite. Just been busy this weekend. Sorry.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Fine. This has become a marathon thread anyway. We're gonna finish making everything right, or die trying. :)

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Sorry for the long response. I have done what you told me to do and so far it looks good but Ill give it a day or so just to make sure. Ill post back here in 24 hours.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Shy of dealing with graphics drivers, when no other program seems to be experiencing this effect, that's gotta be the ticket.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Fuzzyness still exists...might end up just using a different browser.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
That should have eliminated any Firefox issues.

Go to Start Search, type msconfig in the Start Search box. Msconfig will appear at the top of the Menu. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as administrator".

When the msconfig display opens, click the Startup tab, Then click the Enable All button (you can change things back after we are done with this step).

Uncheck 1/2 of the startups listed there. Then click Apply and OK and allow the reboot.

Reboot to normal mode, and see if the problem no longer occurs. If you still have the problem, open msconfig again, but this time recheck the startups you had unchecked, then uncheck the other 1/2. And again Apply/OK and reboot.

This is a process of elimination. If the problem source is a startup, you will have narrowed it down to being in 1/2 of the msconfig list. Make sure the 1/2 that did not cause problems remain checked, then cut the other group in half again. Then again uncheck one half of that, Apply/OK and reboot. See which new 1/2 holds the problem startup.

Repeat those steps until you identify the startup causing the Firefox problems.

Or, as you suggested, just use a different browser.

---------

No, before you do all that, open Firefox. Tools - Options - Advanced tab. Under Browsing uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available". Then click OK, close and re-open Firefox and check for change.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I think it's fixed but going wait a bit to make sure of any change. Ill get back to you in some hours.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
:thumbsup:

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Alright I think it is finally fixed lol. I haven't seen any blurs all day today. Thank you very much. Sorry for the long thread. However, i believe everything is finally fixed now.

Advertisements

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Excellent. Just need to clean what our work added there to finish up.

Eset, if you don't plan to use it again, uninstalls through the Control Panel - Uninstall/Programs and Features.

-------

Go to Start Search, type cmd.exe in the Start Search box. Cmd.exe will appear at the top of the Menu. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as administrator". At the prompt copy/paste the following, pressing Enter after each:

cd "%userprofile%\desktop"

combofix /uninstall

ComboFix should uninstall itself at this time.

--------

You can also at this time delete the files/folders of the tools we used. To assist with some of that, run OTL again. This will help by automatically removing some of the tools we used.

Just click CleanUp, and select Yes. When it finishes removing some of the tools and files we used there just agree to the reboot.

-------

The logs show you have slightly outdated versions of vulnerable programs, so Go to each of these sites and update to the latest version (keep your eyes open - they often slide in "opportunities" for things like Google, or McAfee's scanner):

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
(For Adobe Reader and Flash Player - uncheck the useless McAfee scan, if offered)

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
(For Java 7 Update 25 - trying to slip Ask adware/spyware to systems lately, so watch and uncheck it. You don't seem to have Java currently installed, but it is helpful running many website applications)

----------

In addition, I like to recommend reviewing the information below to stay malware clean:

http://www.geekstogo...he-first-place/

http://www.geekstogo...safe-computing/

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
So sorry! I had a rough week. Ill get this last part posted today.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Actually, unless something else needs fixing, it is just the last cleanup part of our work here.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Actually, unless something else needs fixing, it is just the last cleanup part of our work here.

Ah okay well then ill complete this today and if anything else needs fixing ill be sure to pm you. I believe everything is okay now though. Hadn't any problems as of yet. Thanks so much for the help.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
No, no Pm's. At any time I might be traipsing amongst the flower beds, and there are plenty of qualified folks here that can help, so just start a new request at any time. And I am glad that I have helped you. Be well.