Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failed repair disk

• Please log in to reply

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi,
I have a machine running xp. After a few weeks of it running a bit erratically and after running various AV and other house keeping programs I thought I would go for the plunge and do a repair with the xp installation disk.

All was going well until it seized at around 43% from what I recall. I had this problem years ago, but can't remember how I got around it?
My question is, how can I get to retry this operation. The xp installation disk no longer gives me the option to repair, just fresh install.
Are there temporary files that I can access to erase them to get back to normal again.
Has anyone any advice please.
Tom
PS, I think what I am asking is can I rollback a repair install?

Edited by Tommy Timebomb, 17 April 2013 - 04:24 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry, no, especially since the repair did not complete.

Your best bet at this point is to save any data you don't want to lose then do a Clean (fresh) Install, formatting the partition during the install process.

Here is a very good tutorial to save your data: Use Puppy Linux Live CD to Recover Your Data:

Hmmmm, what happens if you press F8 during boot? Do you get to the Advanced Boot Options Menu (Safe Mode Menu)? If yes, try selecting Last known good configuration that worked. If you're lucky, that will make the system bootable again so you can try the Repair Install one more time. If you get that far, please run chkdsk /r before you do so to fix any file system errors or bad hard drive sectors.

Click on Start then Run, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter.

For your boot drive (usually C:), you will get a window that says the check could not be performed ....
Do you want to schedule this disk check to run the next time you restart the computer?
Typeon Yes and press Enter.

Shutdown and reboot. Chkdsk will start. It can take an hour or more to run depending on the size of your hard drive.

Be patient and let it complete undisturbed. Now try the Repair Install again, or save your data and do a Clean Install.

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for the advice Ztrucker,
I will be going through this today, I was up to 1am trying to get my head around it.
If a fresh install is whats requirder so be it but I will try your suggestions first.