Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why is network printing slow in Windows XP SP2?

• Please log in to reply

skyKL

skyKL

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm installed my new pc with WinXp SP2 ; specs pc ( P4 3.0ghz , 1024mB ddram, 80gb hdd ) :help: having problem with printing. Very slow in printing . ;) Previously, my pc installed with win98 , then i upgraded into winXp SP2. When click print, the dialog box appear very slow, tooks about 30 seconds, even when do some setting, it tooks a while. My print server is win98 . Printer model Hp5000.

1. SomeOne recommend me to delete something in registry, i did but the problem still remain at same. :tazz:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace

delete the key (folder) called {2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D} and
{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}.

2. Someone recommended me to do this on command prompt to increase the speed. But it still same :help:

C:\netstat -a -n

What should I do to increased the speed of print? ;) Anyone :tazz: please help me out with this. :help: Should i uinstall SP2 and replaced it with SP1. :tazz: Or just back to Win98 :help:

Advertisements

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Dont listen to me nescesarily, but if you feel my advice goes along with what you might like, try to partition your drive so you can have a piece of both worlds... they say if you have a (compared to newer) slow/older computer that 98 is better, personally i feel that 98 is better anyways, although xp has advantages, perhaps you might wish to see if someone else has a better opinion, but if its your hardware holding you back partition or a secondary hardrive for 98 would be a pleasant idea for you... Dont mistake me for an expert just someone who watches and listens to others complaints and learns from them ... occasionally :tazz:

skyKL

skyKL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Herlowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
;)

Where is admin?
Where is Technical?
i posted my problem to be discuss...
Why no admin reply to my message!!!!! :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
maybe because we are not all here 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

a polite bump is accessible, but a SCREAM for attention is annoying.

Your printer server is windows 98...why? What kind of network? hub? switch? Workgroup? Domain? explain the details of the setup.

Did the problem occur before sp2 with sp1, or was there no sp1?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
try this

start > run, type

net use LPT1: \\{name of windows 98 machine on our network\{name or printer on your network}
<enter>

same, slower, or faster?

skyKL

skyKL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
im sorry if i sound rude :ph34r: .. But im expecting something different from your website. Something really useful and fully kinda of responds.. :rofl: I tot this web must probably totally different from other website ( about the same concept ) but just at the beginning. :P

Disregard that.. back to the topic.. :hug:

Let me explain again the situation. :tazz:

Our current print server is Win95/98 ( 2 diff print server with 2 diff printer ).
We are login to domain for win NT user , whereas end-user with win95/98 login to workgroup. We having pcs about 200++ . Our printer is Hp laserjet 5100 which is used for plotting the drawing from Autodesk software. ;)

We are upgrading some of our existing pc into WinXp pro SP2 ( P4 3.0Ghz, 1Gb Ddram ). ;)

Now the problem is the printing from the WinXp SP2 become very slow. Not to say the printing but " when you click at printer, the dialoq box takes awhile ( around 30 sec ) before appeared. Same goes when we do some setting, which is its took awhile before the changes. This might slow down the printing progress. :woot: ;) :D

What caused the problem happen? How should i solve it? :tazz:

Thanks in advance gerryf for your attention. :)

SageAdvice

SageAdvice

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have the same problem and worse. I am networking a brand new P4 machine with XP to a P3 machine with Win98. The printer is on the Win98 machine and there is a long delay when sending a print job from the XP machine to the network printer. Not only that, just installing the network printer was a headache. It wouldnt let me do it on the XP machine. It would find the printer on the 98 machine but then tell me it has the wrong driver. I am told this is because the 98 machine is a 98 machine and not an XP machine. So just to get it to work at all I had to physically connect the printer to the XP machine in order to install the driver. Anyway, I have this slowness (20 sec delay) when sending a print job.

Also, I have slowness when browsing across the network with windows explorer from the XP machine to the 98 machine. This is only noticable when I am browsing a folder with many subfolders and files. Very slow! Long delays ! However, when I browse from the 98 machine to the XP machine it is very fast. So it is not a networking issue, it is an XP issue. Any ideas? It's really annoying to buy a blazing fast machine (P4 3 Ghz) and experience this slowness. I am very unhappy with XP in many ways. It has maybe 2 or 3 upsides and a dozen or more downsides to it. :tazz:

skyKL

skyKL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Mr SageAdvice,

For your network browsing problem, you may try solution number 1 in my first post. That wil solve it. Try it out ~ :tazz:

SageAdvice

SageAdvice

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Mr SageAdvice,

For your network browsing problem, you may try solution number 1 in my first post. That wil solve it. Try it out ~ ;)

View Post

I tried that to no avail ;) What does work is if I map the network drive. Browsing the mapped drive is normal speed. Isn't that weird :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

try this

start > run, type

net use LPT1: \\{name of windows 98 machine on our network\{name or printer on your network}
<enter>

same, slower, or faster?

View Post

did you try this?

Advertisements

skyKL

skyKL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i tried that oredi Gerryf , but it did not solve anything..

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
First of all (from ur 1st post) u shod put back the "{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}" key. As this, tells explorer not to look for remote printers so that network browsing is faster, which is the exact opposite of what u want.
Refer: this page

Next u can refer this link to slove ur problem.
On that page u could skip the 1st section(i.e. PRINTER BROADCASTS, which deals with decresing network traffic caused due to printer broadcasting) and start from the 2nd section (i.e. SERVER SERVICE PACKET SIZE, which tells u increase the packet size of printer requests). Also refer the last two sections.

flyer

flyer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hmmm, I'm having the same slow print deal. When I click "Print "in an application, my new XP box slows down...task manager show the application as "not responding"....wait 30 sec and it starts running again. Some applications are not too bad ( pagemaker6.5) and other are very bad ( Corel12). I'll try the registry mods..

Edited by flyer, 19 July 2005 - 01:43 AM.

skyKL

skyKL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i think you all still not understand my actual problem.

The problem occured when you click the print button and it tooks some delays ( less than 30 sec ) before the dialog box for printer show up.

After showing up, when you do some changes, it will took some sec before do the changes.

And this only happen on WinXp Pro SP2, whereas my WinXp 1 is okay.

I was gonna to reinstall all of my winxp pro sp2 pc with service pack 1.

Also, i noticed that with make the print server from winxp OS, can totally remove the delay that happen before.

By the way, thanks for all the opinions.

All the best ! :tazz:

flyer

flyer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My slow xp pro box is doing the same thing as yours, just open task manager and you'll see the application goe "not responding" after you click print and are waiting. Also happens when I adjust setting in the print window.... I tried the registry mods and they helped..kinda. I'm going to go back over them again. Anybody got any more ideas??