Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constructed my own PC

• Please log in to reply

AssumedEnemy

AssumedEnemy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
A few months ago I bought all the components for and then put together my own gaming PC, over the months I have had to check and change the inside a couple of times due to faults and BSOD's affecting the computer, and my suspicions to be a fault of my own. However it seems that even when everything is inserted and connected correctly, there are still a number of problems with the PC. The reasons behind the blue screens varies, mostly being due to the RAM. I have tried the 2 identical RAM sticks in different slot patterns, and even tried using only one, the problems perpetuated. Everything is brand new, excluding my HDD, the DVD writer and the case, however none of these things seem to be the problem. Being a complete amateur to custom PC building, I took recommendations from a relative who has been building and upgrading PC's for years, and put it together with another relative, who has similar experience but much less. It has now been months and I cannot get the problems to stop for more than a week or two at a time... Any advice, tips or other information will be much appreciated, as it is wasting a lot of my time and making what I thought to be a very good addition to my appliances, a simple annoyance.

Topic moved to the correct forum.

Edited by Wolfeymole, 19 April 2013 - 10:59 AM.

Advertisements

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I would check that the standoffs were in the right place to start off with. One misplaced standoff can cause hidden/unknown problems or you have a stray screw underneath the board.

In other words, check for shorts.

AssumedEnemy

AssumedEnemy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I double checked last time I put it back together and there are definitely no loose screws on or under the board. Same thing with the standoffs, as my first problem was that one of the standoffs was obstructing something from being in place. I really can't see what's wrong with it, everyone seems to be fine but every few days or something it will cut out randomly or blue screen for a different reason from last time, hence my difficulty to finding a solution... Many thanks anyway.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

Please supply us with the full system specs. Brand and model of everything, including any external Hardware.
What kind of OS disk do you have, Upgrade, burned, OEM, Retail or other?

Wizdom_09Z

Wizdom_09Z

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Full PC, motherboard, memory, power supply specs will be really helpful. :cool:

AssumedEnemy

AssumedEnemy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Motherboard - Asus Maximus V Gene S1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 mATX
Processor - Intel Core i5-3570K S1155 3.4GHz 6MB
Grpahics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 660 993MHz 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI
RAM - Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz CL9 Vengeance Red Performance Desktop Memory Kit
Power Supply - OCZ Technology ZS Series 550W 80+ Bronze Power Supply
Storage - Samsung sata 500 GB HDD
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium - OEM disk - 64-bit

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday AssumedEnemy.
Thank you for your update.
Just in case there is some slight corruption or incorrect setting.
Pleas make sure to turn of the power and take anti static measure when working on the computer.

1. Clear the CMOS, instructions in the MB manual.
2 Power on, > enter BIOS, > go to exit Menu, > Load default setting, > save and exit. When, if, the OS loads.
3 Restart the computer, > enter BIOS, > note down the reported speed of the RAM, > Save and exit.
Let us know the results.

Even though your PSU is new and of decent quality, we need to check that it is not faulty, something most people cannot do as they do not have the correct equipment. This needs to be done first before moving on to other tests.
2 options. Swap in a known working PSU of the same output or greater and test, or take the unit to a local computer store to have it tested on full load, many will do this for free or a small fee. Phone first before going.

Wizdom_09Z

Wizdom_09Z

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Since you have an SSD I presume you are also using it in your build fresh? perhaps AHCI wasn't enabled by default in your bios. In Addition to the above advice - you could leave out the SSD (only for now) and try just using your regular SATA hard drive, do be sure you have enabled AHCI in your bios, and do make sure you also enabled XMP in the memory section so your mainboard will properly see the correct voltage and timing from your ram. Also if you only have two sticks of memory consult your manual as to which slots to use on initial bootup. Hope this helps.