Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I Factory Restore my Windows 7 Home Premium?

• Please log in to reply

GeneralContal

GeneralContal

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've been told to restart my computer and when restarting to press F10 and click Destructive Restore is it safe? Will it keep my Anti-Virus on it?
Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: GeneralContal

I've been told to restart my computer and when restarting to press F10 and click Destructive Restore

Who told you to do this and why.

is it safe?

Depends on what you wish to achieve.

Will it keep my Anti-Virus on it?

No but that is the least of your worries as you will also have no operating system installed making your computer inoperable.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi GeneralContal :welcome:

I've been told to restart my computer and when restarting to press F10 and click Destructive Restore is it safe? Will it keep my Anti-Virus on it?
Thanks!

Like you said its "Destructive Restore" everything on the machine is DELETED, all Programs, your Documents, Photos, etc. in the end you will have only the Operating System and Programs like it was when you start it first time.

If you want help to Restore the Machine to Factory Defaults post the Windows you have (XP, Vista, 7) and the Brand and Model of the computer to get specific help for your case. And before doing anything please make sure you have done Backup copies of all your files to a safe place like an USB Flash Drive, external Hard Drive, etc.

GeneralContal

GeneralContal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Windows 7 Home Premium 2009 Compaq

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Can you post the exact Compaq model you have, if its a laptop you probably need to check the sticker on bottom of the machine.
Please explain exactly what you want to do and why.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hi,

Can you post the exact Compaq model you have, if its a laptop you probably need to check the sticker on bottom of the machine.

:thumbsup:

GeneralContal

GeneralContal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi,

It doesn't have a sticker on the bottom.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Pardon my intrusion whilst I barge in for a moment!

Hi GeneralContal,

You should be able to obtain the make and model number if you follow the path below to the systems page:

Click on Start orb, right click on Computer in the right pane of the Start menu and choose Properties from the list.

The information needed will be found under the System area on that page.

May want to add if it is 32 or 64-bit as well. Might as well cover all the bases just in case that info is needed in the future.

;)

Edited by DonnaB, 29 April 2013 - 06:00 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi,

Another option:

- if its a Desktop: How Do I Find My Model Number?
- if its a Laptop: How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

By the way please tell us if its a Desktop or Laptop.

Thanks.

Edited by SleepyDude, 29 April 2013 - 02:49 AM.