Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop slows down after a few minutes if I open up a game

• Please log in to reply

rishi_vinayak

rishi_vinayak

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, first off let me tell you that my laptop has a 4GB ram and didn't cause me any trouble for the past 1 and half year, even while playing games. But since a few days ago it started to shut down after getting overheated, mostly showing 100%CPU usage and stuff like that, It becomes so slow that I am not even able to open my browser and browse peacefully. It needs to be restarted to get it back on to its normal speed..but that again is for just a few minutes.Please do tell me if you need information regarding the specs of the computer and stuff like that as I don't know what information I should provide and how to do it.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,860 posts
:welcome: rishi_vinayak

Please provide the brand and model name or number of your notebook.

What you describe suggests that the notebook is overheating, can you at any time hear the internal cooling fan working.

rishi_vinayak

rishi_vinayak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the welcome and also for replying! Ok...

It is the Dell Inspiron N4010 with 64 bit operating system.

Yes I do hear the internal cooling fan and I also feel the heat on my lap...sometimes it just gets too much.When i close all the programs it does cool down but the speed is still slow

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,860 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Yes I do hear the internal cooling fan

That is a good sign.

I also feel the heat on my lap...sometimes it just gets too much

You will have noticed that I use the term notebook and not laptop, that is because you should never use the computer placed on your lap as it restricts the flow of clean and cooler air around the notebook and into the notebooks cooling vents.

I suggest that you clean out the inside of the notebook the best that you can by using canned compressed air, remove the battery and the memory cover and direct short blasts of air into the openings and the vents.

The attached guide is for a HP notebook but the principal is the same http://h10025.www1.h...product=3927423

Examples of canned air http://www.walmart.c...-2-Pk./15860547

Just a cautionary note, if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

Once you have cleaned out the dust only use the notebook on a flat and even surface and consider purchasing a notebook cooler like the example at the link http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834997727

Let us know how things are after the dust has been cleared out.

rishi_vinayak

rishi_vinayak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much! Couldn't find canned air anywhere when a brain blast struck me and I used a bicycle pump LOL.It worked like a charm! I was shocked to see the amount of dust which came out. I don't know what effect it has on my gaming experience yet. Will let you know as soon as I try it.

By the way,I am gonna start using the term Notebooks too since you explained me against keeping it on my lap. Thanks again and I'll look up on the notebook cooler. Is there something else that could be done to improve things?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,860 posts

when a brain blast struck me and I used a bicycle pump

:cool: :spoton:

Apart from using the notebook on a flat and even surface and a proper cooler I can only suggest making sure that the room is well ventilated especially if you live in a hot climate.

See how it goes for a while because if the inside was quite dusty the cooling fan could be clogged and dust may have gotten into the memory slots.