Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 - unable to run any exe files [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kmb1982

kmb1982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Nedklaw,
When I run the fix, the black window pops up...but the exehelperlog.txt is not created.

Advertisements

kmb1982

kmb1982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Nedklaw,
Since I'm having so much trouble running these tools, do you think it would be better to just reinstall Windows?

Nedklaw

Nedklaw

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,652 posts
Hi. :)
The log should be in the same folder where you ran exeHelper.com from. If you can't find it, don't worry. We can still fix your computer without having to reinstall Windows yet. That is the last resort.

Step 1

Download ComboFix from one of these locations: Rename it to qazwsx!.com and set the Save as type to All Files before saving it.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

IMPORTANT!!! You need to save qazwsx!.com to your Desktop

• Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you are still unsure on how to do this, see here.
  • Double click on qazwsx!.com & follow the prompts.

Posted Image
  • Please be patient and don't use the PC whilst it is scanning.
  • When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please copy & paste the contents of this log at C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.
3. If after the reboot you get this error "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion" then reboot, that will cure it.

Things I want to see in your next reply

• ComboFix.txt

kmb1982

kmb1982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Nedklaw,
I am running into the same problem - the tool will not run. When I try to start it, it looks like it's going to start, then nothing. I'm starting to think this can't be fixed. I've been trying to get this resolved for about two weeks now and pretty soon my friend is going to need her laptop back. She's okay with me reinstalling windows if that's what will get it fixed faster. Please let us me know what you think.

Thanks again for all of your help...I appreciate it.

kmb1982

kmb1982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Nedklaw,
My friend needed her laptop back... so I reinstalled Windows and that fixed the problem. Thanks for trying to help me, I appreciate it.

Nedklaw

Nedklaw

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,652 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.