Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Advice On My Watercooled Gaming PC Build

• Please log in to reply

raskill

raskill

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Any advice on my chosen parts from anyone with experiance would be great as this is my first build. I haven't decided on the Graphics Card or Watercooling Kit yet as i need some help with this but i think it should all come in just under budget. The parts i'v chosen so far are as follows.

Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz
Asus SABERTOOTH Z77
Corsair Vengence 1866MHz 16GB 4 4GB Sticks
Corsair Graphite Special Edition 600t Mid Tower Case
2X Intel 120GB 520 Series (RAID 0)
2X Seagate 1TB Barracuda Hard Drive's (RAID 0)
Seagate 3TB Barracuda Hard Drive (As a back up drive)
Coolermaster 720W Silent Pro M2 Semi Modular PSU
Asus Blue ray RW

Are all of these parts compatible with each other?

Which parts would u change?

Is this case suitable for a extreme watercooling setup? If not what would be better suited?

Which watercooling kits/components are of a high quality and easy to install? Any suggestions plz this part i know nothing about?

Which watercooled graphics card should i get? (Card would be a GTX 670 and preferably highly overclock able but open to suggestions)

What are some of the custom watercooled graphics cards on the market? (I am having bother finding any)

Can i get good overclocks with each and every component?

Are all these components reliable and worth the money or are there better for my buck?

Thanks to all for any advice in advance :thumbsup:

Edited by raskill, 21 April 2013 - 05:36 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday raskill, Posted Image

What will the rig be used for, Gaming? Workington?
Why do you want to do such heavy over-clocking?
What kind of monitor and set up are you going to use?
What OS are you going to use?
In which country will you be buying your parts?if the US please give you zip code.

raskill

raskill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi and thanks for ur time.

I am a competitive gamer and will be using the rig for all the latest games at top settings. My brother will be using it for heavy photoshop and video editing aswell.

The heavy over-clocking i hope to be doing is just to get the best out of the rig for my money, my brothers photoshop stuff and my competitive gaming. It is alsow just out of interest as i have been wanting to try it for a while.

As for the monitor i will be using 3 Asus VN247H 23.6" LED LCD Monitors in surround.

The OS im unsure as yet but think it would be either Windows 7 PRO or Ultimate.

Im in scotland and would be buying all parts except the Graphics card and watercooling equipment from EBUYER.

None of these parts are definate yet i just want to find out what others think of my choices as i don't know very much about PC building. Any advice would be great!

Edited by raskill, 22 April 2013 - 01:16 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Thanks for the update

Some general info and observation before looking at a build.
Where a CPU from both Intel and AMD includes a heat-sink fan solution and you use a after-market unit, you will void the warranty, so you are not covered for any damage. This also applies to any form of over-clocking resulting in damage even though the ability to over-clock is supplied by them or the MB manufacturer.
This also applied to the GPU.
Where a Gamer is overclocked and may be a bit unstable, not very important but a workstation must be rock solid, you don't want 6 hours of processing work lost when the system crashes.

I know little about liquid cooling so others may be able to give help. Personally I would not use it, I do know it is often more noisy than air cooling.

RAID 0 for the Boot drive. You have to use SSDs designed for RAID. Not best practice, any drive failure you loose everything with little chance of recovering any DATA. Much better bang for buck to have a large SSD.
Additional HDDs.
2 small drives RAID 0 (scratch disk if you software uses one, could be SSDs)
3 x 1TB, each drive designated for a specific task, dependent on the software used.
1 or more external backup drives.

RAM. If using the Sabertooth, use 2 x 8GB stick, otherwise no upgrade path without replacing all the sticks. May wish to look at maxing out the board, will depend on the typpe of video being edited and the size of the project/files.

Some reading.
http://forums.adobe....5209672#5209672