Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RUNDLL error

• Please log in to reply

SDeshmukh

SDeshmukh

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm getting a RUNDLL error, "Error loading_WKXIXTDFPTS.init The specified module could not be found" when trying to open a specific flash drive. I don't get this error message when trying to open any other flash drive. I have run virus scans on the flash drive as well as on the system but didn't find any malicious items. The flash drive I am trying to open has some really important data, so I could use some help with this. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

SD.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Even with the error you should be able to look at the contents of the flash drive via Windows Explorer. If so, look at autorun.inf. That is what tells Windows what to try to start when you connect the flash drive. Try renaming autorun.inf to autorun.inx (or whatever you want) then you should not get the error message again.

SDeshmukh

SDeshmukh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried accessing the flash drive through Windows explorer. It appears that when I click on the E: icon, it opens and you see a Shortcut to the same flash drive. I try clicking on it and it gives me the same error. I thought it was a circular reference but my wife says she has opened it through the same shortcut in the past. Not sure why it won't open. It definitely does have the data as the virus-scans show all the folders and files as they are getting scanned.

Thanks again!

SD.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Right click on the flash drive and select Explore. What does that show.

If that doesn't work, open a Elevated Command Prompt. Change to the flash drive, run chkdsk then rename autorun.inf as follows:

If the flash drive is F: for instance (use what ever drive letter is actually is):

Click the Start button.
Type cmd then at the top left of the Start menu window, right click on cmd and select Run as Administrator.
In the Command Prompt window, type f: and press Enter. The prompt should now look like F:\>.
Type dir /s and press Enter. (this will show you everything that is on the drive, all folders and files)
Type chkdsk /f and press Enter. Let it run to completion.
Type ren autorun.inf autorun.inx and press Enter (this renames the file)
Type exit and press Enter to close the Command Prompt window.

Use the Safely Remove Hardwaer and Eject Media icon in the Task bar to remove the flash drive. Wait 10 seconds or so then put the flash drive back in and see what happens.

SDeshmukh

SDeshmukh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Tried running chkdsk/f but got a message saying "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)" I selected Y and entered and it said "Volume dismounted. All opened handles to this volume are now invalid. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)" I selected Y and then said, "This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts."

What should I do?

SDeshmukh

SDeshmukh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
PS: It also does not allow me to rename the autorun.inf file using the ren command. I get a prompt saying "The system cannot find the file specified."

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What did dir /s show you?
What did right click on the flash drive and select Explore show?

Reboot with the flash drive plugged in. Try the command prompt again.

SDeshmukh

SDeshmukh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The dir/s shows the entire content in the dos window, but it runs fairly quickly and there's a ton of files in there. When I tried to right click and explore the E: itself, it opens and shows the "Shortcut to E:" and when I right click on that I don't have the option to explore. I am going to reboot with the flash drive plugged right after I submit this reply and will let you know what happens.

SDeshmukh

SDeshmukh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm getting the exact same error messages after restarting the system with the flash drive plugged in. Same error message for chkdsk as well.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you post a screen shot of My Computer and Disk Management with the flash drive plugged in? Make sure each is expanded enough so all info is visible.

Advertisements

SDeshmukh

SDeshmukh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I won't let me post the screenshot. Doesn't allow me. I can E-mail you a screenshot if I had an address to send it to.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

I won't let me post the screenshot. Doesn't allow me. I can E-mail you a screenshot if I had an address to send it to.

Hi,

You can upload the image to a site like http://postimage.org/ and insert the image in your post using the URL given by the site.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
There is no post limit for attachments here.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

There is no post limit for attachments here.

Hi Admin,

Next to the "Attach This file" button I have this:

Used 0bytes of your 100K global upload quota (Max. single file size: 100K)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
First you use the Browse button to locate the picture you want to upload, then you click the Attach This file button. Once uploaded, an Attachments area is shown. Position the cursor where you want the attachment to show then click Add to post.