Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GFX Card cant decide

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If anyone could help me choose between these two cards i would be grateful.
No.1 this is a newcomer to the competition of me picking a graphics card, i have always been wary of radeon cards ive heard a few horror stories but this one looks good.

PowerColor ATI Radeon X800 256MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-044-PC)
PowerColor X800 GameFX Board fully supports PCI Express™ design specifications – the new standard for PCs. With PowerColor X800 graphics you have the ability to send and receive data simultaneously at twice the speed of current AGP 8X solutions. The X800 delivers incredible performance beating all the opposition at this price point. Easily playing the latest released games at maximum detail levels at high resolution due to it's 12 pixel pipelines and 256-bit memory interface.
- 392MHz GPU Clock Speed
- 256MB 700MHz DDR memory accelerates the latest cutting edge 3D applications
- 256-bit quad-channel memory interface
- 12 pixel pipelines
- Supports the x16 PCI-Express
- Six programmable vertex shader pipelines
- Full support for DirectX® 9.0 and the latest OpenGL® functionality
- New SMARTSHADER™ HD technology
- SMOOTHVISION™ HD technology
- 3Dc™ High quality 4:1 Normal Map Compression delivers beautiful scenes without the performance hit.
- Unique VIDEOSHADER™ HD engine
- HYPER Z™ HD
- ATX v2.0 compliant PSU Required for PCI-E Graphics/Motherboard.
- Dual DVI Outputs
- TV-Out/DVI
Price: £119.95 (£140.94 Including VAT at 17.5%)

No.2 is the nvidia side apparently the best 6600GT on the market according to most magazine reveiwers.

Enclosure Type -Plug-in card
Interface Type -PCI Express x16
Compatibility -PC
Graphics Processor / Vendor -NVidia GeForce 6600 GT
Video Memory Installed -128 MB
Technology -GDDR3 SDRAM 128-bit
Max Monitors Supported -2
TV Interface -TV out
Analogue Video Format -RGB, S-Video
Digital Video Standard -Digital Visual Interface (DVI)
1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)
1 x DVI-I - 29 pin combined DVI
1 x S-video output
Compatible Slots -1 x PCI Express x16
Software Included -Drivers & Utilities, CyberLink PowerDVD 5, V-Tuner, CyberLink PowerDirector 3 ME
for a slighty cheaper 135 pounds.

I know that a 6600GT can beat an X700 but i dont know about a X800 it only has ddr memory which worries me but i dont know how much performance that will cost. I might be able to afford this DDR3 version:

PowerColor ATI Radeon X800 Bravo 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-039-PC)
PowerColor X800 GameFX Board fully supports PCI Express™ design specifications – the new standard for PCs. With PowerColor X800 graphics you have the ability to send and receive data simultaneously at twice the speed of current AGP 8X solutions. The X800 delivers incredible performance beating all the opposition at this price point. Easily playing the latest released games at maximum detail levels at high resolution due to it's 12 pixel pipelines and 256-bit memory interface.

- Powered by ATI X800 GPU running at 392MHz
- 12 Pixel Pipelines
- 256MB 700MHz DDR3 2.0ns Memory
- 256-bit Memory Interface
- Supplied with Hitman: Contracts Full Game
Price: £139.95 (£164.44 Including VAT at 17.5%)

What does the bravo on this card stand for?
Its alot of question to ask but im in a dilema i would rather spend the little more money and get a GFX card that will last me longer and give better performance. I have only had nvidia cards and know them to be good cards, i really need at least a second opinion.

All the radeon cards can be found here http://www.overclock...PCI_Series.html and the 6600GT here http://www.microdire...8716&GroupID=27

I was allready to go and buy a 6600GT now im all dilema again, why do i read reviews after i make up my mind it just makes me chane it.

Edited by warriorscot, 07 June 2005 - 04:39 AM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If i were you i would go all out and buy an nvidia 6800 gt or 6800 ultra.

:tazz:

the 6600 gt is a good card, i herd the x800 is pretty good

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
yeah but i dont have the extra 200 pounds to buy it with ive got whole system to build and i cant spend all my money on a graphics card. If i had that kind of money i wouldnt be building one i would get myself a nice liquid cooled alienware pc.

Edited by warriorscot, 07 June 2005 - 08:57 AM.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Between those two the X800pro!!!

There a good chance you can unlock the extra 4 pipes and have a 16pipe X800pro.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If i could unlock the extra 4 pipes i would be very happy indeed and would probably for sure find the extra money to get the X800 card, however i am pretty new at the whole pc building thing and am worried enough about overclocking my CPU. If any one has managed to get the extra pipelines open on this card or a similar card i would appreciate ant info on it.
I also saw a HIS turbo X800 with a much better cooler for the very top of my budget so if i think i can safely open up those pipes i will get it.

Edited by warriorscot, 07 June 2005 - 03:15 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I would be a little wary of the pro series of ATI, they usually dumb the card down a bit to hit a price point.
the x800XL seems to be a good compromise between price/performance.

I would suggest you read some reviews, I like the comparisons found on www.tomshardwareguide.com (they also do some overclocking, which helps give an idea of how much you can boost it)

check out their comparisons between x800 series, they use 6600 series and 6800 series for comparison. basically, depending on the game, the cards go back and forth on who is slightly better.

I have an ATI X850XT (AGP), its a great card, but kinda spendy.

the newest nvidia cards are due out soon, which might drop prices on older cards some...
hope that helps!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
yeah if the price drops i would probably buy one it seems to consistently beat the average 6600GT the only bit i wasnt sure of was the fact that i planned on getting a very good 6600GT while these are the lower end of the x800s available.