Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tablet or laptop for University? [Help please]

• Please log in to reply

PraggyBrick

PraggyBrick

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions when it came to tablets as I need a replacement for my recently deceased laptop.

I'm going to leave for University fairly soon and I mostly need a product that's portable and relatively fast.
You see this is where my dilemma starts as I'm unsure whether to go for a laptop or tablet. I've had laptops for many years although I've never really been satisfied with their level quality despite my extensive research.
Here's a few features that are essential to my purchase so any suggestions with these characteristic would be greatly appreciated.

-Easy and full word processing abilities (as I am an English Major).
-Proper internet browser with full support for flash and Java.
-Attachable keyboard for touch typing.
-Extensive or relatively powerful battery.
-Portable and sturdy although weight is not a major issue for me.
-[optional feature] 3g support or equivalent.
-No windows RT, I've heard bad things from that OS, although my sources may be wrong if so please correct me.

As you see my list of requirements is not very large nor extensive, which is why I'm hoping to get a tablet instead of a full blown laptop.
My price ranges is about £600 pounds although I am willing to go higher for a superior product or fantastic accoutrements/peripherals.

P.S if I would be better getting a laptop please let me know.

Edited by PraggyBrick, 23 April 2013 - 06:07 AM.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Praggy and welcome to Geeks To Go.

To my mind you answered your own question in your very last sentence.

With 600 quid to play with mate I'd go for a good quality laptop.

Railfiretech

Railfiretech

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have to agree with wolfeymole. Your list of requirements described a laptop, not a tablet, especially with 600 pounds to work with.