Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor suddenly turns white/white with vertical lines.

• Please log in to reply

Ape-x

Ape-x

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Today and yesterday my monitor has suddenly just turned blank white or on one occasion white with vertical black lines. The trouble isn't with the monitor itself because when I plug in another monitor it displays the same thing. It may be unrelated and coincidence, but yesterday my cat leaned on and broke my DVI to HDMI adaptor (I have duel screens but only 1 DVI port). Whilst running speedfan it shows everything at normal levels and below 40C.

Specs:

HDD: Two 1TB Seagate Baracuda 7's

Monitors: Two 21.5" Asus VE228H

PSU: Antec 850 watt extended ATX

Video card: Radeon HD 7850

CPU: i7 3.4gz

Motherboard: Asrock Z77 4

Edited by Ape-x, 24 April 2013 - 07:39 AM.

Advertisements

Railfiretech

Railfiretech

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Sounds like a failing video card or a mother board issue, have you checked the motherboard for distended capacitors?

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
The capacitors look fine, would there be any way to check the GPU without sending it off?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Ape-x

I have broke down your OP to bite size pieces to address each point individually :thumbsup:

Today and yesterday my monitor has suddenly just turned blank white or on one occasion white with vertical black lines.

1: Did and does this happen as soon as the computer boots up or only after it has been in use for a while.

The trouble isn't with the monitor itself because when I plug in another monitor it displays the same thing.

2: So when you have two monitors connected one screen is fine but the other is as you described "blank white or on one occasion white with vertical black lines"

yesterday my cat leaned on and broke my DVI to HDMI adaptor (I have duel screens but only 1 DVI port

3: As per my question 2.
4: If you disconnect the DVI port and HDMI adaptor does the direct HDMI port function correctly.
5: Have you replaced the HDMI adaptor with a new one.

Railfiretech

Railfiretech

• Pip
  • 7 posts

The capacitors look fine, would there be any way to check the GPU without sending it off?

If this happened on two different monitor with the exact same reaction then more likely than not it is your GPU. You can power off the system and remove power cabling, touch the inside of the case to ground yourself, remove the GPU and clean the contacts and reinsert it. Power back up and see if you are still having the same issue. If you have access to another GPU that you have lying around, you could just pop that in there and see if you have the same issue.

If you are still having issues after you clean the contacts or if you pop in another GPU and the problem goes away then it is time to purchase another video card.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Sorry for the delayed answer.

1. It was happening after about 30 minutes after booting up, although it varied.

2. To clear things up, I could only use one monitor since my DVI to HDMI adapter was broke (got a new one now). Once the screen went white I swapped over the cables to the other monitor to pinpoint the problem, they both displayed the same thing. Now that I have the adapter and am using both monitors it hasn't happened again.

3. Using the new adapter I can tell you it works fine.

I did notice something a bit awry yesterday, whilst playing a particularly hardware straining game (The Witcher 2) the GPU and CPU were going up to about 60c and lagging the game out a bit. I had to open up the casing and turn the fans up for a bit just to cool the system.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
No worries we understand that other things take priority and we appreciate the update :thumbsup:

The GPU is ok at 60c but it is getting on the warm side for the CPU and depending on which version of the processor you have it could be closer to the safe working temp than you would like.

Let us know which version of the CPU it is that you have please so that we can check, common max temps are 67c &7 2c BTW.

Can you tell us what type of case you have SFF (small form factor) Mid or Full tower etc and how many case fans you have and where they are located inside the case as in front, rear, side and so on.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
The CPU is a Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz Sandybridge (LGA1155 socket) and the tower is a mid (Antec P183 V3) which has a fan on the rear and top.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The CPU is safe up to a maximum operating temperature of 72.6°C

Having a front induction fan would help with the cooling by drawing clean and cool air into the case.

Can you do some gaming and then run the following two tests for us;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.