Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop wont connect to wireless router...

• Please log in to reply

rayray8803

rayray8803

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello all, I'm in of as much help getting my wife's laptop to connect to the new wireless router we just got. So heres the thing with this new router. It's a D-Link Cloud Router 1100 DIR-626L and I got it hooked up and my computer recognizes it and went through the wizard no problem. Our android smartphones and my Playstation 3 sees and connects to the router with no problems. Over to the laptop, once you put the password in it automatically shows a box that says "Windows cannot connect with dlink ect ect" "Diagnose the problem" "Connect to differant network" The laptop is a Sony Vaio running Windows Vista. My concern is that in the past when she was still living at home, she had to buy a brand new router set it up and it worked without a problem. Why is this one giving such a fit?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I have been here before and the tech staff here is top notch

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you checked to see if there are any drive updates for your wireless adapter in the laptop?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Dsenette :notworthy: :thumbsup:

rayray8803

rayray8803

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Where can I go about finding drivers?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can go here http://esupport.sony...s_software:esup and put in the model# of the laptop and it should bring up a list of drivers for your laptop.

alternately you can give us your model number and we can try to get you a direct link

rayray8803

rayray8803

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'll look as well, its model PCG-7154L

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's not pulling up at all http://esupport.sony...id=264#notebook check this image to make sure you're getting the product name correctly

rayray8803

rayray8803

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
with that information, its VGN-NS230E

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://esupport.sony...=3#/downloadTab

there is a wireless and a wireless lan section towards the bottom there....i'm not exactly sure why there are two, but the "wireless lan" one is newer. give that a shot.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I would check to see what the laptop is able to use in terms of wireless and also check to see what the router is setup to use. It might be that the router is not enabled at the same mode that the laptop needs to work at.

Then the next thing to check (or perhaps this is the first step) is to see if the security on the router is one in which the laptop can also use. A first step would be to try to turn off all security (ONLY FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME) and see if it can connect. If it can, then it means that you can talk to the router, so then you need to determine why it can't when the security is turned on. There are several security protocols and what is enabled on the router might not work on the laptop.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that too

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to add some info folks Comcast was just connected yesterday and they setup tv, computer and PS3 for Ray. The laptop is the only one that doesn't connect at this time. Since I know very little about wireless I suggested he post here where those that know can help. I don't understand why Comcast themselves did not make sure the laptop worked before they left.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Unless the router is provided by Comcast, they won't touch it and even if they do, you might not want them to set it up :-).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
plus if one thing connects they are satisfied that their job is done

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Are we sure the PC has the wireless enabled? It's easy to turn it off and not realize it. The Wireless switch is on the front on the right per the manual. Supposedly there is a small light right next to it to tell you if it's on or not.

Also could the laptop be coming up with num lock turned on? Also make sure Caps Lock is not on. If in doubt start notepad and type in the password for the router. Does it look right?

Ron K