Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

not sure which category to put this in - need help!

• Please log in to reply

kal0626

kal0626

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
on the phone with ISP right now. they said my IP address might be blocked for some reason.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

on the phone with ISP right now. they said my IP address might be blocked for some reason.

Its a possibility if for some reason the server decided to block you.
Ask them how you can renew your IP address to get a new one, in some cases you get a new one every time the router/modem is disconnected and reconnected others use different policy.

kal0626

kal0626

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
solved! apparently my IP address begins with 726 which used to be ONLY private IP addresses and some sites are set up to automatically block private IPs. They recently started changing some of those numbers to public IPs and some websites haven't updated their security to allow access. So my ISP has to contact them and prove to them I'm not a threat and then they will change their security settings to allow me to have access. It might take two weeks to fix, but at least I know what the problem was. Ridiculous, right?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

solved! apparently my IP address begins with 726 which used to be ONLY private IP addresses and some sites are set up to automatically block private IPs. They recently started changing some of those numbers to public IPs and some websites haven't updated their security to allow access. So my ISP has to contact them and prove to them I'm not a threat and then they will change their security settings to allow me to have access. It might take two weeks to fix, but at least I know what the problem was. Ridiculous, right?

I'm glad its solved. AFAIK IPv4 addresses end at 255 max and 255 its for broadcast do you mean 126?