Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba L305 Charge Problem

• Please log in to reply

Stateship

Stateship

• Pip
  • 3 posts
About two years ago, my charger port on my Toshiba L305 broke out of place (pushed further back into the laptop) but still continued to work as normal. Then the breakage got worse and the port would wiggle side to side. Then I noticed that my battery would say "full charge" and stop charging when the battery was only at about 92% and it kept going down and now only charges to 13%. Now the port moves around inside alot and I have to push in the adapter really hard and keep it in a certain position for it to recognize that the ac adapter is connected for charging. If it moves out of that position it will stop charging and since it only charges to 13%, it will die very quickly. I was wondering if you could tell me what my problem might be.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Stateship,

Welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

I'm afraid this is not good news. It appears that the power adapter port has finally separated itself from it's mount on the motherboard which is preventing the battery from charging. These ports are very delicate and suffer a tremendous amount of stress in every day use. The power adapter port can be re-soldered onto the motherboard, but doing so requires taking the laptop apart, a delicate touch, and some knowledge of soldering. It can be a tedious task unless you have experience. I would suggest that you take it into a reputable repair shop in your area to have it fixed professionally.

The cost for me when I had this fixed on my laptop was around $120 US dollars since they had to order and replace the port.

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 24 April 2013 - 04:41 PM.

Stateship

Stateship

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the welcome to geeks to go, donna. This is not the news that I was looking forward to hearing but I am glad that I am now informed. Is this something that I can maybe find out how to do through YouTube? I am familiar with using a soldering gun. I was think that maybe it would help if I replaced the actual port itself? Would the lost connection to the motherboard explain why I have to position the AC adapter a certain way in the port to get it to charge? The laptop isn't really all that new so I hope that theres not a whole lot of money that I will have to invest into it.I'm a college student studying computer science so as you may know, my laptop is very much needed. A LOT! lol. But thanks for the new donna and I hope that you can further reply to help me out.

Stateship

Stateship

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I found the replacement port for 4 bucks at radioshack but does the port itself just need replacement or does the whole wiring hookup to the motherboard need replacement as well.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Stateship,

I did find some videos on youtube if you'd like to view them before deciding if you'd like to tackle this delicate procedure or not.

Link of links below on how to replace power adapter port on laptop:
replace power adapter port

I have no idea how to use a soldering gun myself that is why I had a friend of mine who owns a tech shop do it for me though he always shows me what had to be done and how he did it.

The port wasn't the costly part of the fix, it was the labor for taking the laptop apart. I have the receipt here somewhere....

Yes. I would just replace the whole port. My techy friend explained to me why that would be best though I fear it went in one ear and out the other! :lol:

Maybe one of the hardware guys/gals will jump in and provide further guidance or answers to those questions I can not answer who have actually replaced a power adapter port themselves. I just wanted you to know what the cause was and what needed to be done since I experienced first hand.

If you do decide to take on this task yourself, please post back and let me know how it went. If I had time and knew how to use a solder gun, I surely would have loved to try to fix it myself!

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
This exact same thing happened on one of my grand daughters laptop, can't remember the name now, but I had to strip it down and I discovered that the female power socket sat on a kind of plastic mount which had broken so I simply glued the mount back in with some super glue and all was good.

The hardest part was stripping it down making sure the ribbon cables were properly reseated afterwards.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Thank you Wolfeymole. I found out that each model is different. Some power adapter ports solder to the MoBo and some just attach and plug into a little socket on the MoBo with a cable. I never knew this since I only have my personal experience to relate to and mine was the type that had to be soldered on.

Stateship,

Best course of action is to disassemble the laptop and see what you have then go from there. Please keep us informed to your progress. I'm curious to find out how it goes.