Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cooling and compatability

• Please log in to reply

Th3Phantom

Th3Phantom

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My current build in the works is

Cpu: Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor

MB: Asus Rampage IV Extreme EATX LGA2011 Motherboard

Ram: x2 Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory

Gpu: x2 EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card

Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case

Case Fan: Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan

Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

And two optical drives and a hard drive Now here comes the troubles i have no idea what Cpu cooler will fit in this form factor and still allow Stable Overclock to something like 4.7Ghz (Maybe thats too much i dont know whats stable for 24/7 use) I want to have the ability to overclock both the Gpu's (I put in a second Gtx Titan but thats not gunna be part of the rig right away) and Cpu but i dont know what overall cooling i should use and how it would all fit I'm willing to change the case fans power supply Ect if someone could help i would appreciate it

P.S. I would also like a thermal paste recommendation

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Th3Phantom< Posted Image

What will the rig be used for?
In which country will you be buying your parts?
What Monitor/s are you going to use?
Put your parts in one place. Selecting your country, top right, will alter the currency.

> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/SX1c

Some alternative cases, > http://www.newegg.co...5^11-119-225-TS

Can't honestly see you every needing a second GPU.

Th3Phantom

Th3Phantom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Canada (Ontario) And Lots of things gaming server hosting multi-media i'll have 3 monitors all likely to be 1920-1080 I need it to safely run 24/7 and want overclocking The Gpu and Cpu to be a SAFE option the money isn't really an issue Also i wont really be adding the second Gpu right away but it will be there

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Before configuring a build it is best to have a very defined goal for the hardware use. At the moment your selected hardware is not configured for any reticular use and dollars spent on one item may be better spent on another. You will probable need to machines if you want a 24/7 server. Below is a very broad hardware requirements.

Gamer + good application performance, 3770K, GTX 680, 8GB RAM. 2 HDDs.
Workstation, mid range. 3930K, GTX 670, 16GB + RAM, min 5 HDDs, RAID configuration.
Server. Fast Duel Core. Usually no GPU, 4Gb RAM, Please do read all of the Wiki, to give you some idea of the types of servers and what is required.
> http://en.wikipedia....Server_hardware
If you are going to host games, your internet may be your bottleneck, You need about 1Mb/s of upload and 1Mb/s of download connection speed per 3 people.
Software > http://minecraft.codeemo.com/

Th3Phantom

Th3Phantom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have 150mb/s Down and 10mb/s up (Fiber isn't available in my Area yet) also... Minecraft (Makes me question your opinion of me)... So can we get back to my actual questions...

If it makes you feel better imagine if you will~

Steve is building the computer to crunch BitCoins and hes going to spend like 5000$ on it. And he plans to overclock the Cpu and Gpu's as HIGH as they will go for 24/7 use stably and what this dashing gentlemen wants to know is Whats the most optimal cooling solution and what case compatibility those solution(s) have.

i'm aware i may be wasting money but i thought i was pretty clear about what i wanted and i don't NEED a use for the rig because i'm not asking you to
build it. Just help me out where i don't have enough experience to make an informed decision =/

Edit: P.S. I'm not trying to be rude i appreciate that you're trying to help.

Edited by Th3Phantom, 25 April 2013 - 07:48 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

I do find your response both rude and condescending. You were not explicit in what the computer would be used for.
You could have been a 15 year old going off the deep end with a dream machine, so my questions are usually simple, not insulting, so that a novice builder can answer. I would not want to send someone off in the wrong direction or spend big on the wrong item, regardless of what the budget is and I never suggested you were wasting Money.

You cannot build a computer that is a number cruncher and a server at the same time, well maybe if you could afford a Cray.

I think you would be better served seeking professional advice.

Th3Phantom

Th3Phantom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I apologize if you were offended that was NOT my intention. But your disingenuous way of answering did not help i was very clear stating what my issue was several times ("overclock the Cpu and Gpu's as HIGH as they will go for 24/7 use stably"), ("I need it to safely run 24/7 and want overclocking The Gpu and Cpu to be a SAFE option the money isn't really an issue"), ("i have no idea what Cpu cooler will fit in this form factor and still allow Stable Overclock"), ("i don't know whats stable for 24/7 use"). I am an adult Assuming things of people isn't fair. Your second response in particular was both insulting and rude i had already configured it how i wanted it, to do what i wanted it to do therefore commenting on it beyond what i asked.

I thank you for your thermal paste recommendation
And
Ask you understand where other people are coming from put your self in my shoes.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I apologize for misunderstanding your requirements.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I get your cooling issues and the case you have may be limiting your options. You'd probably want to water cool your OCed CPU and I'd suggest you get a case that can accommodate that requirement. Have you looked at the Xigmatek cases? The Gigas cube series are very roomy and excellent in cooling with its four case fans.

I have one which I don't need but it was $80 off so I thought why not? :)

Turned out that I'm impressed with it and glad I got it.

Th3Phantom

Th3Phantom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for responding Brazened. The case was never set in stone i'm just unsure of what i should do, should i get water blocks for both Gpu and Ram and just buy a Custom loop kit or are the temperature gains not even that great? Don't be afraid to post a full cooling setup that you think would best fit my goals~

P.S. iammykyl It's fine like i said i appreciate that you were trying to help it's just i wasn't undecided on the hardware just what the most efficient cooling setup would be and which case would be most compatible with that cooling setup and my chosen hardware~

Advertisements

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I'm not familiar with water cooling so hopefully someone will chime in but yeah since you're gonna OC the CPU and the GPU to the max you'll need a good kit.

Th3Phantom

Th3Phantom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm not set on water cooling i just assume since i'm going for OC that water cooling would be more proficient and overall produce more stable temperature's again anyone feel free to post full cooling setup's that you think would yield the best results!

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
You can get by with a good air cooled kit but since you wanted to go to the max then water cooling is the ticket. It all depend on the temps of the CPU and the GPU.

At the racing club we had a sign that says, "Speed cost money. How fast do you wanna go?" :)

Th3Phantom

Th3Phantom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That's a good Quote but my goal for OC on Gpu's and Cpu is to hit a voltage wall WAY before cooling would be an issue and i'm already gunna spend a small fortune on the computer it might aswell run the best it can ^^

Edit: I still havent gotten any cooling suggestions please post guys!

Edited by Th3Phantom, 28 April 2013 - 06:06 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
May be worth a look to get some ideas http://hardforum.com...display.php?f=2

Intel offering some added insurance for OCers http://www.pcpro.co....or-overclockers