Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LCD Screen Keeps Getting Dark!

• Please log in to reply

ZackWell

ZackWell

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello.

In order to keep my screen from going dark on my laptop, I have to either pinch the left side of my laptop's bottom part (next to where my keyboard is) or put a book underneath the bottom left corner to prop it up. Otherwise my screen goes so dark, it almost looks like I have turned the whole thing off. I am too afraid to try anything, I am not computer literate at all, I just use it for typing papers, internet browsing and that's about it. This system is less than 1 year old. I have a Lenovo G570 3443 ECU.

What is wrong? Thanks!

Edited by ZackWell, 25 April 2013 - 12:21 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
:welcome: ZackWell

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your notebook :(

What you describe may suggest that the MB (motherboard) to screen ribbon/cable has become damaged or partially disconnected, this can happen down to nothing more than everyday use such as opening and closing the lid on the notebook, it can however also happen if the lid of the notebook has been opened too wide.

As the notebook is less than 12 months old it should still be covered by a warranty, if it is you should use the warranty to have the notebook repaired and for the following reasons 1: If you try and physically repair the notebook yourself you will void the warranty. 2: Repairing a notebook is complicated and should only be undertaken by a suitably qualified/competent person and 3: You should not be having an issue such as this with a relatively new computer.

As an asides, there is one test that you can do without voiding your warranty and that is connect the notebook up to an external screen by way of the notebooks VGA port, if the problem is not present it points towards the display ribbon/cable, if the issue is present on the external display the problem is most likely the video chip itself.

NB: If you do try the external display test you may need to toggle between screens by using the Fn and one of the F1 to F12 keys or a single key that has a picture of a screen etched on it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.