Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build crashes

• Please log in to reply

Cingelj16

Cingelj16

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok so I've just recently finish building a new computer and I have installed windows 7. It goes through everything fine, and when I login, the screen get these lines of pixilation and then it crashes and performes a memory dump. When I turn it back on I have to enter another username an such. Please help!!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like Video or memory problems. Is the video onboard or an add-in card? Do oyu have a Windows 7 driver for it?

Are you over clocking anything?

Cingelj16

Cingelj16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The video isn't on board, my monitor is connected through a nvidia geforce 8300 gt, I cannot install my drivers because there is no time to do anything, it crashes after login, no over clocking.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try this: How to Boot to the Advanced Boot Options in Windows 7, select Enable low resolution video, see if that lets you boot so you can install the driver.

Cingelj16

Cingelj16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok so I was wrong about my driver, it's a nvidia 7300 gt, but I got into low res. and it still happened. I went into safe mode w/networking and installed the driver and it still happened, maybe the GC is not compatible with 7??

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
This driver is for Windows 7 and Windows 8: http://www.geforce.c...rience/download

Cingelj16

Cingelj16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Unfortunately it still crashes when I go into less resolution. I tried to go into safe mode with networking and install the driver but the geforce installer says "unable to install in safe mode" I'm not sure what else to do, any more advice would be appreciated.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try this: How to Access Device Manager During the Installation of Windows 7.

From there, disable the Nvidia 7300 GT. When you reboot, it will reload the drivers, but should not BSOD until you reboot the next time (or maybe not at all). You can then install the Nvidia driver I gave you a link for and see if that fixes it.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation DVD, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO. The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.
  • Download and run Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3
  • Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
  • Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
  • Select your USB flash drive
  • Click Create
For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.

Cingelj16

Cingelj16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
IT WORKED!!!! Thank goodness, I was going to go crazy!! Before I was deleting the graphics driver so it would just reinstall on startup, disabling it let me get into it without crashing.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Excellent!!! That's the 3rd person I know of that was successful doing it.

Thanks for letting me know.