Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Free Anti Virus and Free malware scanner

• Please log in to reply

Trevor3

Trevor3

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello,
I am currently using avg free but i hear there are better free antivirus programs. What are these programs? Why are these programs better and what do they offer?
I am also looking for a malware scanner and remover. IS there a free one? Is it very good?
In depth help would be appreciated. Oh and I play lots of online games so some defense from hackers would be good too.
Thanks!

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
While you reply with what operating system you are running consider obtaining ....

Avast

and

Malwarebytes

Both programs are excellent.

If you choose to run Avast uninstall AVG beforehand.

Trevor3

Trevor3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I use Windows 7

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Windows 7 has its own inbuilt Firewall Trevor so along with the items that I have mentioned you will be good to go.

Be aware however that should you surf on dubious sites or randomly click on boxes that pop up whilst surfing you may be exposed to malware.

Depending on your browser you may also wish to consider installing Adblock Plus.

Trevor3

Trevor3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Is there anything i need to know about using malwarebytes?
Also the avast free version is better than the avg free version? (just clarifying while i have someone to answer my questions)

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
With regard to MWB just download it and once it is installed it will ask if you want to update it, do so.

When that has done run a Full System Scan to check for any nasty bits which may take a couple of hours.

We could debate all day about which Anti Virus is better than another but the general consensus on Geeks To Go is that at the moment Avast is the better software.

Trevor3

Trevor3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you for the help, I really dont know much about this AV stuff i just want the best protection for my computer without spending a lot of money

Trevor3

Trevor3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

While you reply with what operating system you are running consider obtaining ....

Avast

and

Malwarebytes

Both programs are excellent.

If you choose to run Avast uninstall AVG beforehand.

one more question. There is the avast Free antivirus download and Internet security. Could you maybe provide me a link (if you have the time) to which version i should download and use?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
This is the version where you have to pay although you do get a 30 day trial.

http://www.avast.com...ternet-security

I have always used Avast Free but there are a few bells and whistles provided in the paid for version that you may feel more comfortable with.

At the end of the day Trevor it's each to their own mate. :)

Trevor3

Trevor3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Oh i was hoping for the link for the free version :happy: I wasnt looking to buy one

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I already gave you the link for the free one in post number 2 Trevor.

It's just that CNet have decided to use a screen shot from the paid for version for some obscure reason.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,954 posts
I've had the free version of Avast for well over 3 years now and just love it. The new features in Avast 8, which include a browser cleanup and software updater, are ingenious in my opinion.

You'll want to use the AVG Removal Tool to rid your system of all the residual files that might be left behind when uninstalling AVG. For future reference, there is an appropriate way to uninstall the old AV and install the new AV of choice:

1st:) Download the Removal Tool for the AV that you plan on uninstalling to the desktop. < DO NOT run just yet!
2nd:) Download the AV of choice to the desktop. < DO NOT install just yet!

Next:

1st:) Close ALL programs and disconnect from the internet.
2nd:) Uninstall former AV from the Add/Remove programs (in XP) or from Programs and Features (in Vista and above).
3rd:) Run the removal tool for the AV that you are removing.
4th:) Install the AV of choice, register if needed, then update and run a scan.

Donna ;)