Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free vs Paid Internet Security

• Please log in to reply

Nath8r

Nath8r

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Is it worth paying for Internet Security? Do the free versions do just as well, if not better? If so, what free software are/is the best; if not, which paid ones are/is?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I use the free Avast. I like Avast's boot-time scan and it seems to be pretty quick at blocking bad sites when I'm surfing. Their latest version even has an update checker which warns you if your other programs are not up to date. Very important as out-dated Java or Adobe programs are the main targets of malware these days. Also use Firefox with Ad-block plus and no-script add-ons. If I am feeling particularly paranoid I also add the free Online Armor firewall since the free Avast doesn't have its own firewall. Main disadvantage is you have to reregister every year. Some people object to the voice notification of updates. To turn it off, click on the Avast ball then on Settings. Then on Sounds and uncheck Automatic Updates OK. (It will still update it just won't tell you about in a loud voice in the middle of the night.)

They have also started using their info popup to try and get you to upgrade so I go into Settings, Popups and change the first two to 1 second.

Some of the other helpers on the forum like MSSE. This is a fair anti-virus which has the advantage that you don't need to register and doesn't slow the PC down. Very easy to install and use.

Avira used to be a big favorite but they have gone over to the dark side and install adware programs which we don't like. I see too many systems on the malware forum with AVG to recommend it.

If you feel like paying for security then either Kaspersky or BitDefender would be my recommendation. Very seldom see either of them in the forum and when we do it's usually not malware related. Comparison test here: http://securitywatch...av-comparatives (Test results vary quite a bit depending on how the tests are run and rated but BitDefender and Kaspersky are always near the top)

Is it worth it to pay for security? I suppose it depends on the user and how important the PC is. If it's part of a business then except for MSSE you are supposed to pay for the free ones too. For me it's not worth it. I'm not going to click on a bad link in an email message, I don't use P2P programs like uTorrent, I keep my software up to date and I'm careful what I click on. For an inexperienced user it might be a good idea tho Kaspersky actually takes a bit of know-how to set up. Don't waste your money on the McAfee A-V that came with your new PC. I'm not a big fan of Norton either but more because it tends to slow a PC down too much.

Ron

Nath8r

Nath8r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
You have a pretty good setup, making it hard for malware to get through. I'll then get Avast.

I'm well-acquainted with computers and can pick-out a malicious link, page, et al. So I'm not fussed by all these extra that paid-ones offer (ie. parental controls, online backup, fb scan, etc). Are free and paid (even the different versions of the same programs) core programmed the best as they can?

What's wrong with McAfee?

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was worthit paying money for something I could get for free and at the same, if not better, level; though if paid is better, then I'll purchase Kaspersky or BitDefender.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
McAfee has a lot of flaws. It's not that good an anti-virus, (see where they rank in the test link I gave you). It's over priced. IMNSHO the only reason they are still in business is that they have a deal with a lot of PC makers to install it on new PCs as a 6 month trial. Then to make matters worse the standard uninstaller doesn't work correctly and sometimes leaves the PC in a really sad state. You have to use a separate program to uninstall them and even that leaves traces. It's harder to get rid of McAfee than some viruses.

I don't think the free anti-viruses are deliberately made less effective than the paid. In Avast's case you get some extra features with the paid version and they are pretty clear about what they are. http://www.avast.com/en-us/index (Avast will also uninstall without causing problems.)

Nath8r

Nath8r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
No, I didn't know that about McAfee. How do business' manage to do it?

Are there ways to find out if a program has been completely uninstalled?

I'm on a Mac atm, but the Internet Security is for a PC. What are your thoughts on Mac and malware? Should I get Avast for Mac aswell? I'm aware of what people say about the Mac and security. I'm not a novice so I know what a Mac can handle.

I'm almost swayed on Avast! Any last thoughts before I go download? From what I've said thus far, is paid worth it?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I'm sure McAfee pays the PC makers to put their trials on PCs and the PC makers tell their customers we are doing this to protect you. I noticed the last PC I bought you had to do something to get it installed so it was a bit easier to remove.

I don't really think Macs are that much safer than PCs. The reason they haven't had as much trouble so far is simply that there weren't enough of them to make it worth the malware writers' time. That is starting to change and we are starting to see more Mac viruses so I think an anti-virus for your Mac is a good idea. If the Avast version is free I would go with it.

I think Avast would be a good choice for you for your PC. I don't think you need paid.