Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Server Not Found/System Restore Not Working

• Please log in to reply

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

Could it be the addons?

I don't think it is the addons, but you can be sure by opening the addons page in FF and disabling those two addons.
Run the system for 24 hrs without doing anything else and see how it is then.

For the update that keeps asking you install it:

First I would change the Automatic Update settings:

Click Start, click Run. In the Run dialog box type sysdm.cpl, and then press ENTER.
Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then select:

Notify me but don't automatically download or install them

If you select this option, Windows recognizes when you are online and uses your Internet connection to search for downloads from the Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site. An Automatic Updates icon and message appear in the notification area of your taskbar when new updates are available to download or to install.
NOTE: If you use this option make sure you manually go to the Windows Update site and install any updates as soon as you see the notification.

Next:

Check the installed updates in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. If the KB2538242 update is there see if you can uninstall it. If the update isn't there or if you can't uninstall it go on to the next step:

Click here to go to the Microsoft download page for the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update.
Click the Download button. (Make sure the Language is correct).
On the next page, click the box beside vcredist_86.EXE then click the Next button. The download file window will open.
Click Save File and save the file to the desktop.
Close the browser and all open windows.
Double click the vcredist_86.EXE file to install the update.

Hopefully this will install the update and get Windows update to recognize it.

Advertisements

tuffstuff

tuffstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
The only thing in my add/remove programs is Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 and C++2005 ATL Update KB973923 x86 8.0 50727.4053. I don't see the one with KB2538242.

I tried to download the new one and it came up with The path c:\docume~1\owner\local\s2\temp\rarSFXG\vcredist.msi cannot be found verify you have access o the location

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
You got that error when trying to download the file or trying to run it?

tuffstuff

tuffstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
sorry run it

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Clear Cache/TempFiles
Posted Image Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista or W7, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Now delete the update file from the desktop and then re-download it and after closing the browser and all open windows try to install the update again.

tuffstuff

tuffstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
The internet stayed on 1/2 hour. Then I used TFC and it died again.

I tried the C++ 2005 again and got the same thing after running it. It also said The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. After I hit cancel there was another box underneath error 1714 The older version cannot be removed.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Looks like we're back to the giant leap forward and then get knocked back stage. Your log looks free of malware so these problems a with the operating system. Let's see what we can find before getting the Techs involved again.

• Click Start then click Run
  • In the Open box type eventvwr.msc and click the OK button. The Event Viewer window will open.

Posted Image
  • In the tree on the left click Application.
  • Look in the right pane under the Type heading for X Error. The Error entry should also contain the following:
    Under the Source heading: ESENT
    Under the Category heading: Database Page Cache

If you see any Error entries with a Source of ESENT and a Category of Database Page Cache:
    • You can open the entry by double clicking on it. An Event log window will open.
    • Click the Details tab and click the Copy button. This will copy the contents to the clipboard. Then click the Close button.
    • Open a Notepad file
    • Right click inside the open file and click Paste. This will paste the contents of the Event log into the notepad file.
  • Click File at the top of the Notepad window.
  • Click Save. A Save as window will open.
  • Click the Desktop icon in the left column.
  • In the File name: box type eventlog.
  • Make sure it is saved as a Text Document (.txt) and click the Save button. This will put a file named eventlog.txt on the desktop.
  • Copy it's contents and paste them into your next reply.

tuffstuff

tuffstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I see red x's under quite a few things but under the source it doesn't say Esent and category doesn't say database cache. The category mostly says non and the source has different names winmgmt, msinstall, application hang. do you still want all of those?

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Nope, I don't need them if they the Cateory isn't Database Page Cache. I'll be back.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Let's run a tool that specifically for Windows XP. NOTE: this tool is not compatable with any Windows versions above XP
First we will create a new restore point.

Step-1.

Make a Fresh Restore Point

Windows XP
  • Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > System Restore. The System Restore Wizard opens.
  • Note: If the System Restore Wizard does not open, the System Restore feature may be turned off. To turn System Restore on, follow these steps:
  • Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
  • Click the System Restore tab.
  • Make sure that the Turn off System Restore check box is not selected. Or, make sure that the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box is not selected.
  • Click OK.
[*] On the dialogue box that appears select Create a Restore Point
[*] Click NEXT
[*] Enter a name e.g. Before Dial A Fix
[*] Click CREATE
[*] Verify that the new restore point has been created, close System Restore[/list]
Step-2.

Dial A Fix

VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure there is not a folder called C:\Documents on the computer because Dial A Fix will delete it. If you have a Documents folder in the C:\ drive back it up to a location other than C:\ and when you are finished with Dial A Fix you can copy the folder back to the C:\ drive.

NOTE: Internet Explorer 8 and above is not supported by Dial-a-fix. If you have IE 8 installed (and you do) and run Dial-a-fix, you may receive many "Error 127" messages because Internet Explorer 8 replaces a lot of registerable components with non-registerable ones. This is OK - simply ignore all of the errors. Dial-a-fix is still able to do it's thing on other files, and no damage has been done to your system during these error messages.

• Please download Dial-A-Fix and save it to the desktop.
  • Right Click the Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip folder and click Extract All, then Extract. This should put a Dial-A-Fix folder on the desktop.
    Then follow the steps below.
  • Open the Dial-A-Fix folder.
  • Double click the Dial-a-fix.exe file to run the program. You will see a console like the image below:

Posted Image
  • Dial-a-fix scans for policies on startup and if you are afflicted you will get a Policies pop up. Allow it to repair.
  • Tick the following boxes:

Empty temp folders
    Fix Windows Installer
    Fix Windows Update
    Fix SSL/HTTPS/Cryptsvc
    ActiveX controls/codecs
    Control Panel applets
    Direct[X|Draw|Show|Media]
    Programming cores/runtimes
    Explorer/IE/OE/shell/WMP
    Object linking libraries (OLE)

Note that ticking a box might tick others too. Leave them ticked!
  • In the bottom left press the GO Button.
  • Allow it to run (the status will be displayed at the bottom), and follow any prompts you receive.
  • Click on the "piece of paper"-button (between the hammer- and question-mark-button) to open the log.
  • Copy it and paste it in your reply.
  • Click Exit to close the program.

Step-3.

Now see if you can install the Windows update, first using the Windows Update site and if you can't try the update file that you downloaded to the desktop.

Step-4.

Things For Your Next Post:
Please post the logs in the order requested. Do Not attach the logs unless I request it.
1. The Dial-A-Fix log
2. Let me know if you were able to install the update.

Advertisements

tuffstuff

tuffstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I am confused about the C:\ folder. Aren't there alot of folders that start with that. I am confused where to look and how to put it somewhere else.

When I use search in c drive for files and folders this comes up. Is it the first two you are talking about?

Name :C_documents and settings In folder: C:\
Name: documents and settings In folder: C:\

The rest say c documents and setting owner or default etc. The first two are the only ones that have just C:\

Help! LOL

Edited by tuffstuff, 09 June 2013 - 03:43 PM.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Open Windows Explorer. It will look like this:

Posted Image

Click the + beside Computer in the left column. Then click on (C:) and the right pane will fill with folders and files.
Look in the right pane for a folder named Documents. Not documents and settings or C_documents and settings, just Documents
If you don't have a folder named just Documents, there isn't anything to copy and move.

tuffstuff

tuffstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Well I don't understand it I pasted the log here and now my post is not here. Can I get the log from somewhere?

I also tried to install the update after the dial a fix and it didn't work.

tuffstuff

tuffstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Found it. Dial a fix log

6:57:41 PM | Dial-a-fix was unable to determine your version of Internet Explorer
Notes about this log:
1) "->" denotes an external command being executed, and "-> (number)" indicates
the return code from the previous command
2) Not all external command return codes are accurate, or useful
3) Sometimes commands return 0 (no error) even when they fail or crash
4) If an error occurs while registering an object, please send an email to:
[email protected] and include a copy of this log

DAF version: v0.60.0.24

--- System info ---
IE version: 8.0.6001.18702
MPC: 76477-OEM
CPU: Intel® Pentium® D CPU 2.80GHz (~2800MHz)
CPU: CPU is 64-bit or has 64-bit extensions
CPU: 2 CPU cores present
BIOS: 9/15/2005
Memory (approx): 1013MB
Uptime: 2 hour(s)
Current directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24\Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24
---

6/10/2013 6:57:41 PM -- Dial-a-fix : [v0.60.0.24] -- started
6:57:41 PM | Policy scan started
6:57:41 PM | Policy scan ended - no restrictive policies were found

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Doesn't look like Dial-A-Fix did anything. Did you check all of the boxes I asked you to check in post #130?