Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't download or unzip ANYTHING. AVG / Vista conflict?

• Please log in to reply

wguru

wguru

• Pip
  • 2 posts
RKinner's 06 February 2013 - 02:53 PM work-around http://www.geekstogo...g-virusmalware/ fixed the same downloading problem that I've been having with my Vista laptop using Firefox, but still need a solution for similar problem with Chrome browser... and to solve similar problem that prevents unzipping any zip file... even older zip files that I know are virus free and do unzip fine on other PCs.

Similar AVG / Vista conflict? Maybe some AVG glitch in reg?

Hope someone (@RKinner?) can help.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
See if this will work for you:

Download noscan.reg and save it then right click on it and Merge. If you can't download you can make your own file: Copy the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]
"ScanWithAntiVirus"=dword:00000001

Then open notepad and paste it in. File, Save As, (to your desktop) "noscan.reg" OK. Make sure you use the quotes or it won't work.

See if you can get 7-zip to work for your unzipping. http://www.7-zip.org/download.html (make sure you get the correct version for your PC.)

Ron

wguru

wguru

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
the 7-zip does the unzipping fine, but still can't download using Chrome. Is there a Chrome browser download virus check fix like there was for Firefox?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Chrome does what IE tells it.

You can try:

Go to the Start menu > Control Panel.
Select Internet Options. This should open the Internet Properties window.
Select the Security tab.
Select Internet zone (globe icon).
Click the Custom level button. This will open the Security Settings window.
Scroll down to Downloads > File download.
Select Enable.
Scroll down the list further to Miscellaneous > Launching applications and unsafe files.
Select Enable(not Secure).
Click OK.

What worked on the last one of these I had was to uninstall IE9 and let it revert back to IE8.