Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

school network problems

• Please log in to reply

Valentinissimo

Valentinissimo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:help:

Hello,

I am managing a small eterogeneal network:

28 PC of 6 different kind and 2 different OS (windows 2000 and windows 98)
connected to the internet through a CISCO 800 with NAT and ADSL connection.

I used to have a Windows 2000 Server to mange the access but I had too many problems due to hardware incompatibility (expecially video cards) and at a certain point it crashed and I had to format it.
Now it is reinstalled and I am rebuilding the users list but it will take a while.

Now I am working with a paritetical network.

Unfortunately my users are student that have a very peculiar attraction to dangerous sites and they always get all kind of vermins in the PCs and I am pretty tired of constantly try to fix the problems they cause :tazz:

So I wander if there is somebody who can help me in setting up a minimal security on this network because I really don't know much about it.

I also would like to know if I can post all the logs of Hijackthis and somebody can help me out in ceasing the services that are not necessary and programs and services that are to be consider malware, spyware etc.

Beside the danger, and the annoying situation of the never ending formatting activity, my problem is that we are a school and have not much money, and some of the computers are old and slow, but we cannot change them so I need to try to optimise them.

The list of software that we run:

Mozilla Firefox
Office 2000 professional
Autocad 2000
Some electric circuits simulators

on some computers we need to install messengers: Yahoo, ICQ, MSN, miRC.

As Antivirus we run AVG (grisoft.com)
I would like to use ZoneAlarm as firewall (but I accept suggestions for better ones)
For spyware we use Spysweeper but lately it6 shown to be inadequate

Now the school is over, so I have around a month to tune everything so I formatted all PCs, downloaded all the upgrades, then I run Hijackthis and looked at the log ;) No CLUE!

Can anybody help?

I attach one of the logs for now.

Thank you all

Valentino

Attached File  hijackthis4.txt   1.65KB   166 downloads

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

First, if you need advice on spyware removal, read HERE.

That is good that you have been using Mozilla Firefox, definitely a very good browser in terms of security.
You can review Preventing Browser Hijacking.

The following is a list of tools and utilities that we like to suggest. This list is full of great tools and utilities to help you understand how you got infected and how to keep from getting infected again.
  • Spybot Search & Destroy - Uber powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections.
  • AdAware - Another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well.
  • SpywareBlaster - Great prevention tool to keep nasties from installing on your system.
  • SpywareGuard - Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place.
  • IE-SpyAd - puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
  • CleanUP! - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.
  • Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
  • Google Toolbar - Free google toolbar that allows you to use the powerful Google search engine from the bar, but also blocks pop up windows.
  • Trillian or Miranda-IM - These are Malware free Instant Messenger programs which allow you to connect to multiple IM services in one program! (AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, MSN)
  • Weather Watcher - Free taskbar weather program that is free, malware free, and resource light.
To find out more information about how you got infected in the first place and some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections you can read this article by Tony Klein

//source : ScHwErV

Lastly, HijackThis Logs are always posted at the Malware Removal Forum