Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard help using windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Wurzelnator

Wurzelnator

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok my sisters laptop has windows 7 installed. But for some reason someone messed with a setting or something im not sure to where the keyboard doesn't register letters. What I mean is if like I wanted to press the letter p it would bring up printer or if I pressed y it would pull something else up. Second time it has happened now and I want to know how to fix it without resetting the laptop.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi Wurzelnator,

Make sure you don't have a CTRL key stuck because CTRL + P will open the Print window is most cases.

Electrobrandino

Electrobrandino

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
If the buttons aren't physically stuck like sleepy suggested, there are a few other things that can cause it...I personally have seen it on a few different machines.

In alot of cases it has boiled down to bios/driver updates. Usually re-installing windows wont resolve the issue (at least it didn't on my desktop when it acted up lol)

If you could provide a model number of the laptop (usually on a sticker on the bottom of the machine) it may help everyone come up with solutions that are more specific to your machine. :thumbsup:

Wurzelnator

Wurzelnator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hey guys appreciate the answers. I'm sure the key isn't stuck as it was doing it for every key I've checked control key a couple times now and no way it was stuck. Also i dont believe it was a bios/driver update as it was initiated by my nefue button bashing on the keyboard and somehow activated and have no clue what it was or how to deactivate it.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

hey guys appreciate the answers. I'm sure the key isn't stuck as it was doing it for every key I've checked control key a couple times now and no way it was stuck. Also i dont believe it was a bios/driver update as it was initiated by my nefue button bashing on the keyboard and somehow activated and have no clue what it was or how to deactivate it.

Hi,

How about booting in Safe Mode does the problem go away?
Another question if you press the letter "p" you get the print window and if you close it and press "p" again does the print windows opens again?

Edited by SleepyDude, 01 May 2013 - 04:15 AM.

Wurzelnator

Wurzelnator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi,

How about booting in Safe Mode does the problem go away?
Another question if you press the letter "p" you get the print window and if you close it and press "p" again does the print windows opens again?

Well it goes back to normal when I restart the computer but I don't want to restart the computer every time it does that. Also earlier today the freaking computer screen was going vertical rather than horizontal. What i mean is when i typed it was like the whole computer screen was turned 90 degrees and even when i restarted I had to system restore any idea what it was and how to fix it next time? The keypad was in sync with it to so if i moved the mouse it moves like the screen was turned 90 degrees. And im pretty sure yes with the p key but it was every single letter key that had a different function.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Well it goes back to normal when I restart the computer but I don't want to restart the computer every time it does that. Also earlier today the freaking computer screen was going vertical rather than horizontal. What i mean is when i typed it was like the whole computer screen was turned 90 degrees and even when i restarted I had to system restore any idea what it was and how to fix it next time? The keypad was in sync with it to so if i moved the mouse it moves like the screen was turned 90 degrees. And im pretty sure yes with the p key but it was every single letter key that had a different function.

Hi,

I didn't ask to restart its about working in Safe Mode to see if by any change you have some software interfering. The screen going vertical its "normal" because some video drivers set a hot key to rotate the image.

It seems you have a problem with the keyboard in you case I would try to connect a USB keyboard and see if the problem stops if you don't touch the built-in keyboard.