Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Driver Installation

• Please log in to reply

Cingelj16

Cingelj16

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok so I've been having graphics problems in my new build. The screen goes pixelly and then crashes. I have no time to install the driver because of the crash. I cannot install the driver in safe mode because nvidia doesn't allow it. It also crashes in low res. mode. If anyone knows other ways to install a graphics driver it would be much appreciated. My graphics card is a Geforce 7300 gt.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi Cingelj16,

Running in Safe Mode go to the Device Manager and uninstall the driver for the graphic card, then reboot in normal mode and install the updated driver running the corresponding Setup.

See if this works for you.

Edited by SleepyDude, 30 April 2013 - 10:02 AM.

Cingelj16

Cingelj16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
So I tried that and the same thing happened, the BSOD said "attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed" not sure what else to do, PLEASE HELP!!!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

So I tried that and the same thing happened, the BSOD said "attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed" not sure what else to do, PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi,

Can you try to boot and use Enable low-resolution video (640x480) instead of safe mode on the boot menu and try to remove the old driver.
Are you doing any overclock?

Please post the motherboard model and brand you have.

Cingelj16

Cingelj16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hi,

Can you try to boot and use Enable low-resolution video (640x480) instead of safe mode on the boot menu and try to remove the old driver.
Are you doing any overclock?

Please post the motherboard model and brand you have.

The build is recently new so I think all the drivers are updated but I'll try to do that. The motherboard I have is a MSI 975x platinum power up edition.

I am not overclocking.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

The build is recently new so I think all the drivers are updated but I'll try to do that. The motherboard I have is a MSI 975x platinum power up edition.

I am not overclocking.

Did the system ever worked or you have that problem from beginning?

Did you connect the power to the JPWR power connector near the PCIe slot? (check motherboard manual page 2-9)

Cingelj16

Cingelj16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The system works completely, but the graphics card does not work when the driver is installed. I need the updated driver to play games and to improve definition. i have changed to AHCI mode because i saw something that said that might fix it. Of course my PC needs to install 99 updates so im in the middle of installing those and then the recently un-disabled driver will update, i pray that will work, hope fully, I will update when it finishes.

UPDATE: it crashes again, im going to try different drivers.

Edited by Cingelj16, 01 May 2013 - 06:55 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Boot to Safe Mode. Open Device Manage and Disable the graphics card.
Boot normally, then enable the graphics card and install the Nvidia driver you need.

Cingelj16

Cingelj16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I do that and then it boots fine, but when i install the new driver, it crashes on reboot