Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Trying to add a second monitor to my gaming rig

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an hp-Pavilion HPE h8-1124 (specs)

It has a Radeon HD 6570 graphics card installed. This is a wonderful videocard, but it only has one DVI port, along with an HDMI port and a DisplayPort (no idea what that is for).

What is the best way to go about getting a second monitor set up? I have plenty in the house that I could use, but they're all VGA or DVI.

I am able to purchase a second graphics card, and if it would actually contribute to the rig in any noticeable way I might even prefer it. But I've never worked with more than 1 vid card and my knowledge is somewhat limited.

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Edited by leocass86, 01 May 2013 - 12:03 PM.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,710 posts
:welcome: leocass86

Sorry for the delay in you receiving a reply.

a DisplayPort (no idea what that is for).

Can I ask whether or not you are referring to the blue D-Sub type port!

The reason that I have asked is because the HD 6570 typically has 1 X HDMI port, 1 X DVI port and 1 X D-Sub type port.
If this is what your card has then it will connect to a VGA port on one of your monitors.

Just a FYI, the VGA port is actually a type of D-Sub port (one and the same thing) the thing that sets it apart from other types of D-Sub type port is the number of pins it has (15) the port is typically blue in color for easy identification, some further information @ http://www.eizo.com/...yport_to_d-sub/

As an asides at present this is your best option as adding a second video card or upgrading the present card to a better one will most likely mean that you will need to also upgrade the PSU (power supply unit) if it has not already been upgraded previously.

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Assuming you havn't already made any purchasing decisions, I run a monitor through DVI and one through HDMI - if you have one with HDMI connections laying about. Since I don't know what your current setup is using I can't give exact advice, but DisplayPort can be used with an adapter to DVI, so even if you're using the current DVI port you can tack on another monitor if you are willing to pay a small fee for the adapter (such as for this one).

In saying that, gaming with two monitors increases the resources you need for the computer by quite a bit. I have never used both of mine for gaming, just for watching TV WHILE gaming. But you can bet you will want a new graphics card if you plan on using both monitors to game on. And as phillpower2 stated you would almost certainly need a new power supply which can be quite expensive if you need a good one, and can completely destroy you computer if you risk paying for a cheap high wattage one. That is the problem with store bought configurations, upgrading one is often just as expensive as buying a new one out of parts and assembling them together. Before you make and purchasing decisions, check there is room in the case for one (even if your motherboard supports two cards, sometimes the case does not...) and that you have the proper power required to operate them for gaming before making any spur of the moment decisions. It is also worth mentioning that the gains of an extra graphics card do not double the output, at best you might be looking at an extra 65%.