Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sure seems like a virus [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Thumperness

Thumperness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
OK...It's gone now

Advertisements

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Let's get rid of the last little bit.

Start OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following
    :Commands
    [createrestorepoint]

:Files

C:\Users\Wendy\AppData\Local\Temp\Shortcut_SweetIPacks.exe
    C:\Users\Wendy\AppData\Local\Updater21804
    C:\Users\Wendy\Downloads\FlashPlayerPro.exe

:Commands
    [emptytemp]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered.
  • Post the log it produces in your next reply. The log should be saved in C:\_OTL\MovedFiles and should be named with numbers describing the date and time it was run.

So, the games that are giving you trouble are online games in IE?

Let's try running IE without addons and see if that helps:

Open the start menu and type in “iexplore -extoff” without the quotes and hit Enter. See if IE is still slow.

Thumperness

Thumperness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
LOL. When you kill the extensions, the game no longer works. I'm wondering if flash player is one of the extensions.

Below is the OTL log

All processes killed
========== COMMANDS ==========
Restore point Set: OTL Restore Point
========== FILES ==========
C:\Users\Wendy\AppData\Local\Temp\Shortcut_SweetIPacks.exe moved successfully.
C:\Users\Wendy\AppData\Local\Updater21804 folder moved successfully.
C:\Users\Wendy\Downloads\FlashPlayerPro.exe moved successfully.
========== COMMANDS ==========

[EMPTYTEMP]

User: Administrator

User: All Users

User: Default
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 0 bytes

User: Default User
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 0 bytes

User: Public

User: Wendy
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 363064943 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 0 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 3737 bytes

%systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32 (64bit) .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\drivers .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
Windows Temp folder emptied: 31320342 bytes
%systemroot%\sysnative\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 128 bytes
RecycleBin emptied: 0 bytes

Total Files Cleaned = 376.00 mb

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 log created on 05192013_150026

Files\Folders moved on Reboot...
C:\Users\Wendy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\VWUL3DI0\page__st__15[1].htm moved successfully.
C:\Users\Wendy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\AntiPhishing\7A7E08C8-3FF5-45F2-873D-A84D669DC82F.dat moved successfully.
C:\Users\Wendy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\MSIMGSIZ.DAT moved successfully.
C:\Users\Wendy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\counters.dat moved successfully.
C:\Windows\SysNative\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\counters.dat moved successfully.

PendingFileRenameOperations files...

Registry entries deleted on Reboot...

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts

LOL. When you kill the extensions, the game no longer works. I'm wondering if flash player is one of the extensions.

So you couldn't test the games....are they the only things that are acting slow?

Let's try to reset IE. Please go here and run the fixit from Microsoft.

Thumperness

Thumperness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
OK. reset IE. games seem to be running a little better. I'm not believing there's anything else left.

Can you think of anything?

David

Edited by Thumperness, 23 May 2013 - 03:38 PM.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
You're machine looks clean to me. If you're happy, then we'll go ahead and clean-up the tools and quarantine.

Let me know.

Thumperness

Thumperness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Yeah I am happy

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi,

So sorry for the long day...but it's been a holiday weekend and I am really busy today. I will post the cleanup instructions for you tomorrow :).

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Congratulations, Thumperness :). Your computer now appears to be clean. Please complete the followings steps to finalize the cleaning process.

It would be a good idea also to reset your firewall in case the malware opened any ports.

Please update these programs, as old versions pose a security risk.
  • Java - you already have the latest version, but please read the note below:

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
    See this article and this article.
    I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software.
    In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

If you do need java, then you should definitely keep it updated to the latest version, which you already have now.
  • Adobe Reader -> You already have the latest version, but I would also recommend doing the following:

I would recommend securing Adobe Reader against the latest exploits as follows:
  • Launch Adobe Reader.
  • Click on Edit and select Preferences.
  • On the Left, click on the Javascript category and Uncheck Enable Acrobat Javascript.
  • Click on the Security (Enhanced) category and Uncheck Automatically trust sites from my Win OS security zones.
  • Click on the Trust Manager category and Uncheck Allow opening of non-PDF file attachments with external applications.
  • Click the OK button.

Clean up OTL:
  • Open OTL and select the "CleanUp" button.
  • Allow the computer to reboot.
  • Any logs or removal tools left over can be deleted now. If ESET is still installed, you can uninstall it from the "Programs and Features" menu in the control panel.

Delete possibly infected restore points. Your computer may have saved a restore point while it was infected, so we need to delete the old restore points and create a new, clean one.

First set up a new, clean restore point:
  • Open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.
  • In the left pane, click System protection. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.
  • In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

Then delete the old, infected ones:
  • Go Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools
  • Right click Disc Cleanup and select run as administrator
  • Then select the more options tab
  • Select system restore and shadow copies "Clean up"
  • Follow the prompts

Empty temp files. I would recommend doing this every so often to free up some space on your computer.

Download TFC to your desktop
  • Open the file and close any other windows.
  • It will close all programs itself when run, make sure to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. The program should not take long to finish its job
  • Once its finished it should reboot your machine, if not, do this yourself to ensure a complete clean

Ensure that Windows is always updated. Keeping Windows updated is very important to prevent security vulnerabilities. I recommend turning on automatic updates following the instructions below:
  • First, click on Start and click onAll Programs, then Windows Update.
  • Click on Change Settings in the left pane and then check the option for Automatic Updates.

Always ensure that your firewall and anti-virus program are updated and running. These are your first line of defense against infection.

Make sure that you keep all of your programs updated. Out-of-date programs can make your computer more vulnerable to infection. Software manufacturers release updates to fix security problems as they are discovered. Secunia Personal Software Inspector, free to download here, is a good program that will scan your computer looking for programs that need to be updated.

This article has good information about how computers get infected. You can read it for good tips on staying clean and safe.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements