Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New build dead after one month, PSU will not power up

• Please log in to reply

Newbphi

Newbphi

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I built a new computer with the following components

MSI Z77A-G45 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 2400 CPU (this was bundled with the motherboard)
CoolerMaster eXtreme 500W PSU
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) RAM
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti Video Card
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB HDD
Samsung 128GB SSD
Samsung DVD Burner

I assembled this and it worked great. Then, a month later, I came home to find the computer off. It puts itself to sleep after a while, but the LED on the power switch would still be lit and it was off. The PSU would not power up and the fan would not begins spinning. I tried all the usual troubleshooting.

I first checked the PSU. I disconnected the 24 pin power supply from the motherboard and jumped from the green cable to a ground. The power supply turned on, the LEDs on the case lit up and I could hear my drive spin up.

I disconnected everything from the motherboard, removed it from the case and set it on a non conductive surface. Then I tried to power it up with just the CPU and one stick of ram. Nothing. I have tried multiple different sticks.

I contacted MSI and returned my motherboard for a refurbished one. Nothing.

I contacted Intel and replaced the CPU. Nothing.

I know that the I received a new motherboard from MSI because it has a different serial number. I still have both boxes and the new board has a new serial number. I know that I have a new processor because I still have both of them.

I believe I have eliminated everything that could possibly be wrong. I am at my wits end. Please help.

Advertisements

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I would say it's the PSU. The test you did on it doesn't show that all the voltages were working.

Newbphi

Newbphi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have tried with another PSU that I had lying around. I may have forgot to connect the CPU power but the PSU should still start up, no?

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Yea it should but the CPU power has to be hooked too.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Hi.
The PSU may now be faulty and may have damaged other parts, NB. If the unit is the one in the review below? it is the budget model and in the review fails some of the tests, not recommended. The only sure way of troubleshooting your issue is to use a known working PSU to test the other parts or, have the unit tested under load with a test instrument Ring around some local computer stores, some will even do it for free.
> http://www.hardwares...ly-Review/728/1

You could try a RMA but you want to exchange for a better quality PSU, definitely not replaced with the same model.

Newbphi

Newbphi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, traced the problem to a bad power switch. By jumping across the power switch pins I can get the power supply to turn on and all the fans start spinning and the drives spin. But the power supply only stays on for a couple seconds and shuts off again.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts

By jumping across the power switch pins

Which power switch pins? on the MB? the case? thew PSU.
If on the PSU, It definitely has a fault and the protection is kicking in, do not use, the next time you turn it on, the protection may not work, resulting in possible destrction of your other components.