Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Failed Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
I have a Gateway M675 with a 60 gb hard drive. After two months the hard drive went bad. Now I have the opportunity to buy a 100 gb hard drive which has an operating system on it.

Can I just unplug the bad hard drive and plug in the new one?

How can I find out if this computer can accommodate the new drive other than knowing that it is for my model computer?

Will I have to make any changes in the bios?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Unfortunately you cannot simply insert the new drive with an operating system on as you will encounter hardware mismatch errors.

You can put the new drive in but you will have to reinstall Windows on it by changing the boot sequence in the bios to cdrom as first boot.

The new hard drive should also look like the one on the right in this image.

sata-ide-laptop-hard-drive.jpg

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
Thanks - it is an IDE Drive.

If I have the Windows XP Code from the failed hard drive and an original Windows XP Pro SP2 disk I purchased a number of years ago.

Can I install from the Windows XP disk and use the code from the failed hard drive to authenticate?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Yes, that should work. There should also be a COA sticker on the computer with the key.

Aslo, the XP CD with SP2 you purchased should have come with a COA sticker and key as well.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
Thanks for the prompt responses!