Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Satellite A215 old CPU fan died, new one not working either

• Please log in to reply

alexander4

alexander4

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite A215-S4767. As stated above, the old CPU fan stopped working, though I do not recall if it was gradual or immediate. I ordered a replacement fan, and having swapped it out I find the new one does not work either.

I am going to go out on a limb and say I installed it correctly, as there was only one cable to connect, and I didn't seem to break anything else in the process. Is there a way I can check the original fan to see if it is still good, using a multimeter or something like that? And does anyone have any thoughts on why else the cpu fan might not run, if the fan is not bad? I appreciate any help, thank you!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Hello alexander4

Does the notebook power up at all and if so does it stay on or shut down right away.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I'm curious about this. Does the fans for laptops have lower power requirement than the desktop models?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts

I'm curious about this. Does the fans for laptops have lower power requirement than the desktop models?

Yes the Toshiba notebook concerned requires Input Voltage: DC5V 0.24A whereas a desktop cooling fan requires 12V.

Some smaller desktop cooling fans for the South or Northbridge chip for example only require 5V but they are typically only 40mm in diameter.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Thanks. Good to know. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

alexander4

alexander4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Hello alexander4

Does the notebook power up at all and if so does it stay on or shut down right away.

It does power on. Since I figured out the fan was not working, I have not kept it on for more than a few minutes, but it does get very hot in that time. I believe that before it failed the cpu fan was making a buzzing noise before it stopped working, but it has been broken for some time (5 months or so). I have run it two times since then, but not long enough to see if it would power off for fear of harming it.

If you think I should, I can reassemble it and run it to see if it overheats and switches off. I took it apart again to try to verify that I had installed the new fan correctly.

alexander4

alexander4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Also, the old CPU fan was made of metal and had a flat arm that contacted the CPU. With some thermal goo, I assume this helped with heat transfer. The replacement fan does not have that arm, and does not contact the CPU. Should I be concerned about that? I don't think it is causing the fan to not run, but it seems to suggest that this new fan will not cool as well, if I ever get it running.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
That's the heat sink. The fan is attached to it.

alexander4

alexander4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

That's the heat sink. The fan is attached to it.

Thank you. Disappointed in myself for ordering the fan with no heatsink. After Phillpower2's comment, I'm tempted to put the laptop back together and see if maybe the new fan just had not kicked on when I tested it, but i am leery about trying it without a heatsink. Any idea if some sort of BIOS issue might cause the fan to not run? I thought that maybe a temperature sensor was not working, but I can't find the temp in BIOS.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Have you separated the original fan from the heatsink for re-use with the replacement cooling fan.

How to Replace a Toshiba Satellite A215-S4767 Fan?

1. Follow your laptop owner's manual and assembly guide carefully as you disassemble the laptop. Touch something metal periodically to remove static charge, and work on a large table with a bright light source.

2. Turn off the laptop and unplug it. Remove the main battery, CD/DVD drive and the hard drive. The hard drive is usually located in a slot on one side of the laptop. Remove the screw that holds the cover in place, then pull out the hard drive sled.

3. Turn the laptop over and remove the screws on the bottom that hold the keyboard in place. Flip the laptop over, open it, then lift the keyboard up and out. Unplug the flexible ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the motherboard.

4. Remove the screws that hold the keyboard bezel and palm rest in place. Carefully pry loose any plastic snaps on the sides, then lift the bezel and palm rest up and out.

5. Unplug the Toshiba Satellite A215-S4767 Fan Cooling Fan. Remove the screws that hold the heat sink and fan in place, then remove the entire unit from the laptop. Remove any thermal compound residue from the bottom of the heat sink and the CPU.

6. Apply a thin layer of thermal compound on the CPU, then replace the heat sink and fan. Replace the screws, plug the Toshiba Satellite A215-S4767 Fan back in, then reassemble the laptop.

7. Plug the laptop in and turn it on. After you use it for a few minutes, you should hear the new fan running and feel warm air blowing from the vent on the side of the laptop. A Toshiba Satellite A215-S4767 Fan does not run continuously, so don't be concerned if the Toshiba Satellite A215-S4767 Fan shuts off periodically.

alexander4

alexander4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Phillpower2,

My old fan unit looks like this:
Posted Image

The replacement looks like this:
Posted Image

Sorry, camera is not working but those are accurate. The replacement one (second photo) does not appear to have the heatsink, which is that arm extending off the side. The fan and heatsink are a single connected piece. I can try running the laptop with the replacement fan if you think it is safe, but it would be without the heatsink.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
That shows how much I know about laptops. It's totally different from I'm used to seeing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Do you have a link to where you purchased the replacement CPU fan?

Have you detached the heatsink from the original cooling fan, cleaned off the old thermal paste from the heatsink and the top of the CPU and then reapplied a fresh amount of thermal paste such as Arctic Silver 5 http://www.arcticsil...ine_v1.1.pdfand then reattached the CPU fan and heatsink as it should be.

To replace the fan correctly http://www.laptopinv.../A215-S4767/Fan

The correct replacement with heatsink attached http://www.laptoppar...ooling-fan.html

alexander4

alexander4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
The replacement fan was purchased from here: http://www.amazon.co...p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1
While I had a copy of the Toshiba repair manual, I had not disassembled the laptop at the time and had not realized the cooling fan had the heatsink arm. The fan and heatsink are a single solid piece, and are not able to be seperated.

Thank you Phil and Brazened. I will order a correct replacement CPU w/ heatsink, and I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Edited by alexander4, 08 May 2013 - 10:21 PM.