Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Build Overview help.

• Please log in to reply

aareyn

aareyn

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Firstly I am building a gaming PC and I would like the get a dedicated graphics card but I am unsure whether or not my motherboard would support it or not.

Motherboard
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131819

Or does it need to support it I am unsure lol I am really new at this, any help would be appreciated.

Edited by aareyn, 03 May 2013 - 06:03 AM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The motherboard you have in your link includes

1- 1 x Integrated video

2- 2 x PCI-E 3.0 slots(for adding a Video Card)

3- 1 x PCI-E 2.0 slot (for adding a Video Card)

So in your board as many options for graphic card, the easiest is the Integrated Video which you just plus your monitor to the back of your motherboard using the DVI connection (Integrated video is the least good choice depending on the use of your computer due to share memory and lower quality).

or you can put any add-on video card to one of your PCI-E (3x) slots

or you can use the SLI option and connect 2 video card together in 2 of the PCI-E 3.0 slots

So you have many options as you can see.

Hope that helps

Edited by Alzeimer, 03 May 2013 - 06:53 AM.

aareyn

aareyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Okay now I understand thanks for the info it really helps :)

aareyn

aareyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Alright I think I've finally put together my computer and I don't know if I've made an incompatible setup or I am choosing the wrong things.

COMPUTER SPECS

Graphics Card

ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Motherboard

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU/Processor

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

Power Supply

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Any tips on how to make my build better without spending a lot more money would help I appreciate any feedback.
Kind of a noob at this type of stuff so if I need to buy better stuff to get the full power out of my items listed let me know plz :)

Edited by aareyn, 03 May 2013 - 07:20 AM.

aareyn

aareyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
So wait if I add a new video card does it have to be the same one and does it really make a difference too have two, like how exactly does it work?

aareyn

aareyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

The motherboard you have in your link includes

1- 1 x Integrated video

2- 2 x PCI-E 3.0 slots(for adding a Video Card)

3- 1 x PCI-E 2.0 slot (for adding a Video Card)

So in your board as many options for graphic card, the easiest is the Integrated Video which you just plus your monitor to the back of your motherboard using the DVI connection (Integrated video is the least good choice depending on the use of your computer due to share memory and lower quality).

or you can put any add-on video card to one of your PCI-E (3x) slots

or you can use the SLI option and connect 2 video card together in 2 of the PCI-E 3.0 slots

So you have many options as you can see.

Hope that helps

So wait if I add a new video card does it have to be the same one and does it really make a difference too have two, like how exactly does it work?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you use one video card it can be any video card,

if you add 2 video cards in SLI they both have to be the same model video card

Your PCI-E 3.0 slots are backward compatible with pci-e 1.0 and 2.0 video card and the 3.0 cards

Your PCI-E 2.0 slot is compatible with pci-e 1.0 and 2.0 cards

The SLI option is to connect 2 video cards together (sli bridge) and connect to one monitor, the system uses both cards in programs and games that can use this option. It is useful only if you really need it, one good add-on video card is as good to use as the sli option.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
So your parts and costs can be seen in one place, click,

> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/UOV2

aareyn

aareyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hi.
So your parts and costs can be seen in one place, click,

> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/UOV2

Awesome does it show the best prices as well?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, but not always the absolute rock bottom price as most stores are the larger ones so does not show your local Mom and Pop store. If you have a good outlet close to you, always worth taking your shopping list in and asking for a price but stick to your configured researched build, don't be persuaded to switch things around.
Register on the site and have a good play, there is a lot more there than first looks.

Some info will help us configure a build for you to consider.

What is your budget? example of a good build. > http://pcpartpicker....ykyl/saved/1kRb
Do you have any parts you can use in this new build, keyboard, mouse, Optical drive Hard drive, etc?
What monitor will you be using? Brand and model please.
If in the US? Zip code please.

You will need an operating system like Windows 7/8

Advertisements

aareyn

aareyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Yes, but not always the absolute rock bottom price as most stores are the larger ones so does not show your local Mom and Pop store. If you have a good outlet close to you, always worth taking your shopping list in and asking for a price but stick to your configured researched build, don't be persuaded to switch things around.
Register on the site and have a good play, there is a lot more there than first looks.

Some info will help us configure a build for you to consider.

What is your budget? example of a good build. > http://pcpartpicker....ykyl/saved/1kRb
Do you have any parts you can use in this new build, keyboard, mouse, Optical drive Hard drive, etc?
What monitor will you be using? Brand and model please.
If in the US? Zip code please.

You will need an operating system like Windows 7/8

Well my computer I would like to run high end games like Skyrim at high or ultra settings, although I am making money slowly I am willing to save up until I reach my goal although I do have a limit which is not above $1500 if I can help it.

By the way I've never ever had a desktop PC nor have I really played PC games but I feel I am missing out on what the PC has to offer, plus the games just look way better.

Here is my build so far http://pcpartpicker....reyn/saved/1zno I am also not sure if they're all compatible and I do not wanna make this mistake nor am I sure I am getting the best for my money, for instance if there is a better graphics card, memory, fan, CPU, or anything else that could be changed with just a modest $20 extra that would make my PC all the better than I figure that's worth it.

aareyn

aareyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

If you use one video card it can be any video card,

if you add 2 video cards in SLI they both have to be the same model video card

Your PCI-E 3.0 slots are backward compatible with pci-e 1.0 and 2.0 video card and the 3.0 cards

Your PCI-E 2.0 slot is compatible with pci-e 1.0 and 2.0 cards

The SLI option is to connect 2 video cards together (sli bridge) and connect to one monitor, the system uses both cards in programs and games that can use this option. It is useful only if you really need it, one good add-on video card is as good to use as the sli option.

Same exact model? Hmmm I'll definitely keep that in mind.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Some observations and info.
You do not need a i7 CPU for gaming, it will not give you more fps or better performance when running at maxed out setting. A i5 3570K is the sweet spot, will not bottleneck the system, great for applications, even modest video editing.

An after-market cooler is not needed as the stock one is more than capable of keeping the CPU within it's thermal specs.
Also, where a retail CPU is supplied with a cooling solutions and you choose to install an after-market one and/or over-clock, you will void the warranty, this from both AMD and Intel. Applied to video cards as well.

HDD. Better performance can be had by having two drives, one for the OS/Programs and one for storage. If your OS drive becomes corrupted, or fails, you do not loose your DATA. I also means that many read and writes are done on separate drives not all on one drive, this gives better performance.

Unless you have a very sophisticated sound system, the integrated sound on the MB is very good, you do not need a add on card.

Added a SSD and OS.

Q. Is the case selected a must, or would you be opento suggestions. It does not have USB 3.0 on the front.
Q. What is your Zip code please?

A build to consider. > http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VQNq
Alternative cases. > http://www.newegg.co...0R15351:$$$$$$$

aareyn

aareyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hi.
Some observations and info.
You do not need a i7 CPU for gaming, it will not give you more fps or better performance when running at maxed out setting. A i5 3570K is the sweet spot, will not bottleneck the system, great for applications, even modest video editing.

An after-market cooler is not needed as the stock one is more than capable of keeping the CPU within it's thermal specs.
Also, where a retail CPU is supplied with a cooling solutions and you choose to install an after-market one and/or over-clock, you will void the warranty, this from both AMD and Intel. Applied to video cards as well.

HDD. Better performance can be had by having two drives, one for the OS/Programs and one for storage. If your OS drive becomes corrupted, or fails, you do not loose your DATA. I also means that many read and writes are done on separate drives not all on one drive, this gives better performance.

Unless you have a very sophisticated sound system, the integrated sound on the MB is very good, you do not need a add on card.

Added a SSD and OS.

Q. Is the case selected a must, or would you be opento suggestions. It does not have USB 3.0 on the front.
Q. What is your Zip code please?

A build to consider. > http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VQNq
Alternative cases. > http://www.newegg.co...0R15351:$$$$$$$

Well I also was planning on using my computer to run photoshop since I draw digital artwork all then time and animation so I am not sure if this would affect my choice as well with the CPU.

Alright well that is great to know then i'll definitely hold off on the fan but does this mean I have to still apply thermal paste on the CPU? Thanks also had no idea that
the motherboard had a soundcard integrated on it ^^

That definitely sounds like a good investment for the SSD and it take load times of the harddrive? If so I am in.

So what is the real difference between these two cards MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card and Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card

Also mainly the case was purely cosmetic I think it just looks really cool :)

ZIP CODE: 97502

Thanks for all the help so far!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Well I also was planning on using my computer to run photoshop since I draw digital artwork all then time and animation so I am not sure if this would affect my choice as well with the CPU.
A. I will answer this later as short on time being on Jury Dury.

Alright well that is great to know then i'll definitely hold off on the fan but does this mean I have to still apply thermal paste on the CPU?
A. No. The heat-sink has pre applied TIM as a pad or strips, you just secure the unit in place.

Thanks also had no idea that the motherboard had a soundcard integrated on it ^^
A. Your welcome.

That definitely sounds like a good investment for the SSD and it take load times of the harddrive? If so I am in.
A. Yes. Also helps some games appear smoother when moving to a different scene.

So what is the real difference between these two cards MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card and Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card
A. I look for the best combination of low heat, low noise and bang for the buck. Look for reviews like the below,' if budget allowed, the best in it's class.
> http://www.hardwarec...axy-msi.html

Also mainly the case was purely cosmetic I think it just looks really cool
A. May visit this again later.