Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

GPU fan good but does not spin

• Please log in to reply

chickmazta

chickmazta

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
This toshiba laptop has been acting really strange. 5 mins after boot display shows vertical lines on screen. and also on the external monitor this rules out the lcd panel. I've just noticed that the fan for the gpu is not spinning during normal operation. But when I remove the memory and the hard drive it spins. I know that the fan is working but if the laptop is booted to windows it does not spin, so I think that is the reason why the screen has lines on it because it becomes very hot.

I would like to know if someone has encountered this same problem. And if so, what would be the resolution. This laptop is very old a toshiba qosmio g10-106. Hope someone could help. Tnx!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Hello chickmazta

Couple of questions if I may;
Are the time and date showing as being correct on the taskbar.
Have you checked the fan settings in the BIOS, I am not sure which particular key it is but when you power up the notebook try tapping one of the following keys F1, F12 or Esc, once in the BIOS navigate the pages to look for the fan settings.

If you have trouble finding the fan settings but you see the Restore System Default Settings select that option, save and exit then see how the fan behaves.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thanks for the reply! The date and time settings are compromised because I've check the cmos battery and it is dead. So whenever I boot to windows I have to change the time/date settings. I'll check the bios for fan settings once I put the laptop back together. By the way I've read the manual and says press f12 for bios settings. I'll keep you posted. Tnx very much!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
You are welcome chickmazta :thumbsup:

Are you also replacing the CMOS battery first?
This must be done because the MBs configuration settings (including the cooling fans thermal settings) are stored on the BIOS chip that the CMOS battery supports.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Can I use the usual cmos battery from a desktop? This laptop is old and finding a replacement for the battery will be impossible. There are no settings or anything pertaining to the fan settings in the bios. I'm thinking about tapping the gpu fan to the wires coming from the processor fan. Would that solve my issue or will it stress the pin connector in which the fan processor is connected to? I measured the voltage and the output is 5 voltz. tnx again for the help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Is the battery the CR2032 coin cell type as in the attachment below!
If yes then it will be ok, if not then do not use it as it may have a different voltage.

I would not be tempted to tap into the CPU fan as it could overload it.

Try a replacement CMOS battery and see if the GPU fan kicks in after it has been on for a minute or so.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
good day sir. Sorry for the delay. Its not like that. What I have here are two small ones attached together by a plastic tape. I measured the voltage of the cmos and it shows 2.5v and then bios keeps reporting that my cmos battery is low. I'm still waiting for a specific cmos battery for this laptop and I think it needs at least 3v. I would like to ask about the general rule of these fan settings.

If the bios detects that the processor reaches a specific temperature would the fan spin at that temp or does it automatically spin when power button is pressed? If so, is it possible that the bios does not detect the temp of the gpu chip that's why it refuse to spin. Both fans have 3 wires, black red and gray. The red ones for positive, black for ground and gray for the sensor. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I cut the gray wire which I think is for the sensor would It spin automatically? Thanks again for your help.

Edited by chickmazta, 08 May 2013 - 02:08 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Not all CMOS battery voltages are the same and some are a lot lower than 3V, your low voltage message does suggest that 3V is required though, some information etc http://shopping.micr...category.763/.f

I would not cut any wires, they are designed the way that they are to prevent the CPU being fried.

Not all cooling fans can be heard when you turn on the computer, placing a hand by an exhaust vent to check for air being blown out is one check and listening closely by placing your ear next to an exhaust vent is another.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Good day! I got the cmos battery and installed it. Cmos settings can now be saved. But the fan still does not spin. I completely disassembled the laptop that's how I determined that the fan does not spin during successful boot up. I did not cut the wires but I removed the pin insertion leaving only the black and the red ones connected, but still no spin.

I wonder why the fan does not spin even though the temp is hot. does that mean that the sensor is damaged? or the video chip needs reballing because of its contacts?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
The fan itself may have failed so I would ask a local tech store to test it for you, they may do this for free or charge a small fee so please ask them first.

No to the reballing BTW.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I have confirmed that the fan is working. I've tried using different laptop cpu fans on this laptop and still the same result. I've both used this laptop's gpu fan and cpu fan on an hp laptop and is working fine. I've heard others using jumper wires to make the fan run at full speed disabling the sensors which tells the computer to run at a certain temperature. As of now I am at dead end. hope someone could help. tnx

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Now that you have confirmed that the fan works it can only be a software setting or a bad fan header on the MB, if it is software you can check and hopefully resolve it but a bad fan header is a different ballgame which may make it financially unviable to have repaired.

Click on the Windows orb logo at the bottom of the desktop to show the Start menu. Choose the Control Panel from the menu. Select "Power Options," which is under the "System and Maintenance" category.

Click on the "Change Plan Settings" link under the "High Performance" or "Balanced" plan.

Click on the "Change Advanced Power Settings" link, which opens a new dialog box.

Scroll down to find the "Processor Power Management" option.

Click the plus sign (+) to expand to see the "System Cooling Policy" option.

Click the plus sign to expand to see the "On Battery" and "Plugged In" options under System Cooling Policy. Click on the settings to the right of these options to activate a menu.

Click the down arrow to show the menu. Change "Passive" to "Active"; if "Active" is already selected, leave it as is.

Click the "Apply" and "OK" buttons in the dialog box. The CPU fan speed is now set to active, which increases the fan speed to cool the processor.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Tnx for the guide. This worked on my other laptop Toshiba Portege R705 but didn't worked for the qosmio g10. But I already solved the problem. I would not suggest it to others because I took a risky procedure to fix it. I've read a lot of forums and blogs to come up with this fix. To make the fan spin all the time I soldered the fan directly to the usb on the motherboard. I did identify the polarity of the usb port so that the red wire and black wire coming from the fan will be tapped to the back of the port unto the motherboard. I also removed the yellow wire.

At this point the fan runs at max speed and does not turn off. Its okay for me because its not noisy. And it keeps my temp at a very good one, gpu idles at 50c and at max 70c-77c this is while playing candy crush. If somebody wants to do this please be careful enough not to damage the board. I don't recommend it but it did fix my issue. Tnx a lot phill and more power GTG!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
You are welcome chickmazta :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting the advisory about your fix <_<