Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Offline external hard drive browsing

• Please log in to reply

Skywalker007

Skywalker007

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I was wondering if any of you could give me advice.

I'm looking for software does the following, I have no idea how else to describe it:

I have a couple external hard drives, which i mostly use to store home media.
Is there a way to keep the ability to browse them while they are not corrected, of course while not being able to open the actual files.
Like having a copy of all the files and folders which is stored of the computer itself.
Primarily I want to use this to check if I have redundant files, missing some files, etc. without having to connect the hard drives.
It would also be nice (but not necessary) to use this together with programs like XMBC or any other media library software or to just even queue up actions like copy or delete (which then get executed when you connect the drive)

I don't know if anything like this is even remotely possible, I have searched for hours, but I don't know even what search terms to best use when looking for something like this.

And yes I have used NAS devices, and yes they would make my life simple, but i really have no desire to use them ATM.

Hope any of you understand what i'm babbling about and even more that one of you can point me in the right direction!

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hi Sky

One might conjecture that if the drives are not connected in any way then how would it be possible for any data exchange to happen?

Skywalker007

Skywalker007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi Sky

One might conjecture that if the drives are not connected then how would it be possible for any data exchange to happen?

I'm not expecting any data exchange to happen, but to save an "offline" directory tree viewable when not connected, with any actual data exchange only being possible when you physically connect the hard drive. Sorry if that part was less understandable

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok so the scenario for example is that you want to save a document to a not connected hard drive but only when that hard drive is then connected?

I know of no such software that will accomplish what you require Sky.

Others may have different opinions though.

Skywalker007

Skywalker007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Seems by googling some more, I have half-answered my own question.

It seems i'm looking for a disk cataloger. However those I've found are not what i'm really looking for.

So if anyone knows one which has some or all of the capabilities as described, i'd be very happy hear about it.

However at this point, i'd be glad to find one that integrates with Explorer, or just replaces replaces explorer as a file explorer/disk cataloger with (if possible) these functions

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi Skywalker,

For the first part a Disk Catalog application like Where Is It (Shareware) can be used to "browse the disk off-line".

Now for the file operations I don't know anything like you describe using a queue. In whereIsIt you can manipulate files by selecting them on the Database but you need to have the corresponding disk available so the program can open, copy, delete, etc. the actual file.

Skywalker007

Skywalker007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, I'll try it out