Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Noisy computer sound

• Please log in to reply

space sapien

space sapien

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
In the last week I have noticed, especially when using video conversion software, that my PC is making a God awful noise. It doesn't seem to lead the PC to crash but seems like a worrying sound none the less. I rebuilt it to a Windows 7 build 64 bit about 2-3 months ago so I don't believe it could be this. When I pause the software, the noise stops but soon comes back when resuming. It seems hardware related to me as there are no errors in the Window's system logs. Any idea what could cause this as the PC's hardware is fairly new and I would hate it to be MOBO related.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Space Sapien.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi Space,

It seems the sound is heat related. When the processor is with heavy load, normal with demanding software like video conversion software it gets hot and the cpu cooler need to run faster to keep the CPU cool.

Did you assemble the computer your self? If you bought it on a store you should ask to check if everything is normal.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello space sapien

Are you using a HDMI port on a video card to connect to your display.

Can you provide us with the brand and model name or number details for the following items please;

Case
MB
Ram
Video card
PSU

It will also help if you tell us how many HDDs you have and whether or not you have any other add on cards fitted.

space sapien

space sapien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I did assemble it myself and the componenets are as follows:

Case - Fractal Design Define R3 USB3 (Black Pearl)
MB - Gigabyte Technology Z68AP-D3
Ram - Corsair 2 x 4 GB DDR3-1600 - PC3-12800 - CL9 Vengeance
Video card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
PSU - Corsair PSU 750W CMPSU-750TX ATX12V v2.2

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello space sapien

Are you using a HDMI port on a video card to connect to your display.

It will also help if you tell us how many HDDs you have and whether or not you have any other add on cards fitted.

The PSU is a good quality brand and has ample output for your list of known components.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I would check your fans especially the CPU and GPU to see if they are worn. I had a cpu fan that only made noise when it goy hot. It needed to get to a certain rpm to cause wobble.