Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC goes straight to boot menu instead of booting windows

• Please log in to reply

KuroOu

KuroOu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Recently I tryed to use a ubuntu live usb trial. To get it to boot I had to use the boot menu and select the usb to get it
to boot. After, when I restarted the pc instead of loading XP it went to the boot menu and gave me the choices of what to boot, when I pick normal or from hard-disk C:, it says something about syslinux and being unable to load some sort of
file. When I get off work I'll post it exactly as it is, until then, do you guys have any ideas of what could be wrong?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
:welcome:

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

syslinux is a bootloader for Linux platforms, you may have installed this to the C: drive by accident.

Check the Boot Sequence in the BIOS again;

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the appropriate button that allows you to access the BIOS (esc - Del – F2 etc)
This will enter you into the BIOS/CMOS
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to DVD/ CD drive
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit.
Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Let us know if this is how the boot sequence looked when you just checked or if it had changed.