Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

100% CPU usage = useless computer. Help?

• Please log in to reply

anilsen

anilsen

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi there,

This is my first time on this site, so I apologize if starting a new topic is not appropriate for my issue. Unfortunately my computer is running so slowly that I am on my iPod, which means I couldn't find the search bar to look at past topics.

Anyways, I am running Windows 7 on my HP dv6-1245dx computer that I purchased in 2009. It has recently become so slow that it is not practically useable. It is incredibly frustrating to do anything on it! I have found that the CPU usage is constantly at 100% (even at startup), while my Physical Memory stays are 33%. I've run MSCONFIG and disabled all programs at startup. This reduced my processes on start up from ~110 to ~70, but my CPU is still at 100% and super slow :(

I am not sure what other stats/info to provide that would help find a solution, and would gladly provide any info that could help. Thank you!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,863 posts
:welcome: anilsen

Two possible causes are a HDD that is running low on free storage space which we can help you with on this forum, another possible cause is malware infection which we cannot help with here on this forum so we may need to redirect you to the malware forums if it appears that it may be the problem.

You have made a good start with MSCONFIG and what I suggest that you do now is go into the Device Manager > Control Panel > Programs and remove any old programs that you no longer use which will free up some space on the HDD.

If you are unsure of what a program is leave well alone and ask for guidance here.

Let us know when the above is done and if it helps at all.

anilsen

anilsen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the suggestions! After a few restarts and clearing some programs, the problem seems to be getting better. I noticed that I had three anti-virus programs (AVG, Norton, McAfee) running on startup that were slowing things down. I am going through and trying to purge my HDD of programs that I do not use, and I may take you up on posting a screenshot or list of programs to get insight on which additional ones I can delete. For now, here are some screenshots about my system info. The first is the space left on my C-Drive. The next shows my performance with MS Word, MS Excel, Task Manager and 5 tabs of Google Chrome open.

Any other tips for cleaning things up and improving performance would be much appreciated. I'll try things out for a few days, and let you know how things go. I appreciate the prompt, helpful reply, and the warm welcome to GTG :)

Attached Thumbnails

• C-Drive.png
  • System performance.png

Edited by anilsen, 05 May 2013 - 04:33 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,863 posts
You are welcome anilsen :thumbsup:

Having more than one AV program on a computer can actually leave it vulnerable to attack from malware + it will also make the computer unstable and in a worse case scenario inoperable, this is caused by the programs fighting for control of resources.

It is important to use the correct uninstall procedure to remove AV programs or you can serious problems, please refer to the tutorial provided courtesy of admin @ http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

Once the AVs have been correctly removed we will look at freeing up more space on the HDD, let us know if or when this has been done please.

NB: The "to do" list is quite substantial and I do not wish to overload you with tasks, this is why I have asked that you only do the above to start with.

anilsen

anilsen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks phillpower2. Good to know about the AV programs! I do not know how I ended up with three over the years, but I am happy to say that they are all uninstalled now. I see from that link you sent me that there are recommendations on what AV and AM software to use. Would you recommend I install MSE and MBAM now?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,863 posts
You are welcome anilsen :thumbsup:

Yes to MBAM and MSE or Avast as both are very good, light on system resources and free :D

How is the computer behaving now please.

anilsen

anilsen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Phill,

The computer is running smoothly, for now. Yippee!! Do you have any other recommendations for me?

Also, should is there something I should do to close down this topic? I'm new to forums, so would appreciate any guidance you have :)

Thanks again!
Andrew

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,863 posts
Hello anilsen

Thank you for the update and good news that all is well :thumbsup:

At present I suggest that you give it a week or so and then confirm that you are happy.

Topics are not closed at GTG unless for a specific reason so please feel free to return to this topic if the issue returns.

I will be going offline shortly as it is almost midnight here in the UK and the day has been a long one due to work commitments, let us know if you have any further questions and we will advise asap.

anilsen

anilsen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi again phillpower2,

Looks like I may have spoken too soon. I've had a new problem happen twice now. After leaving my computer on for a bit, I've twice come to find that it is unresponsive. I am not able to open any programs, including task manager. I get the attached error message. I then try and shut down my computer, but explorer shut down sound stalls it (see attached pic) and forces me to manually power down.

Any thoughts on what this may be?

(Actually it looks like I can't attach on my tablet. I'd be happy to find a comp and upload the pics if you'd like.)

Attached Thumbnails

• 20130510_184922.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,863 posts
Hi anilsen

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25271813

anilsen

anilsen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi again,

I've been trying to run this diagnostic test for the last two days, but to no avail. I almost got it to work once, but Internet Explorer stopped responding. Since then my computer's performance seems to continue to degenerate. I am not able to open programs, or even Task Manager, on startup. I have this "Solution Center" that runs on start up and asks me to insert a cd, but I have no idea what it is, nor do I have a CD to insert.

In short, my problems seem to be getting worse and I'm not sure why :(. Is it possible that in the couple of day period that I did not have an AV program installed that I was morbidly infected? That doesn't seem right to me. I'm also unsure if I was a little to bold in uninstalling programs or playing around in MSCONFIG. I feel that I am a decently tech-savvy chap, but maybe I just know enough to be dangerous ;)

Any suggestions about what I can do from here? Are there some diagnostics I can run in Safe Mode?

Thanks phillpower2!!

Thanks

anilsen

anilsen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Good news! In Safe Mode with Networking I was able to run the test. I first downloaded the software and ran the test, but saw that this is not what you were asking for. The software scan came up with 39 fixes and 1 advice. I've attached screenshots of that advice.

I then went online and ran the test online. Here is the URL: http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25328006

Thanks again for all of the support!

Attached Thumbnails

• Fix screen 1.png
  • Fix screen 2.png
  • Fix screen 3.png
  • Fix screen 4.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,863 posts
Hello anilsen

Thanks for the url :thumbsup:

First of all can I ask you to protect your computer by installing Avast (free) http://www.avast.com/index
Second, please disregard the PCMatic suggested fixes and uninstall the PCMatic software.

The test results show that you have an awful lot of old software installed so I suggest that you go into add/remove programs and uninstall any software that you no longer use or have never used (if any of the programs have their own uninstaller please use that)

If you are not sure what a program is please leave it and ask here, let us know when you have done the above.

anilsen

anilsen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi again phillpower2,

Thanks for the suggestions! I've installed avast and am in the process of uninstalling more programs.

However, I think I may have a more pressing issue at this point. I am unable to use my computer if I boot into normal mode. It works fine in Safe Mode with Networking, but freezes up on startup in regular mode. I'm not sure why this is. I recently installed a Windows update, and it seems like my computer has grown less responsive since then. I am not sure how to diagnose this or to get my computer running smoothly in regular mode :(

Thoughts?

Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,863 posts
Hi anilsen

Make a note of the suspect updates kb details and then uninstall it and see if the issue is resolved.

Post the kb details with your next reply please.

If there is no improvement check for a system restore point that is before the date that the problem driver was installed http://windows.micro.../system-restore

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup: