Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New internal Seagate 2TB HDD appears in bios and device manager but no

• Please log in to reply

Shatto

Shatto

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have a Seagate 2TB HDD ST2000DM001, I run my OS (Win8) on my SSD (OCZ vector 128GB) so this is for storage but for some reason it's not showing up in disk management, it does however show up in HD tune, bios and device manager but not disk management
I am running really low for space on my SSD (8GB left) so I really need this fixed, I'm almost even willing to pay the first person who can help me fix it. If pictures would help let me know

Everything appears to be fine but my HDD won't show up if my SSD is plugged in (in the bios) or rather doesn't seem like I can use both at the same time and can't boot from my HDD

I found this, the sold icon says the device is working properly, the ghost looking icon says the device is not connected to the computer however the ghost icon comes and goes.

Posted Image
Posted Image

If I set the 1st boot as my HDD then I can see it as a boot option however it disappears if I change it to my SSD. I assume I can't boot from my HDD because it's not formatted?

Posted Image
Posted Image

This is my build if this helps at all
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX-2 4g Thermal Paste ($7.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($115.06 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card ($559.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($83.17 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: Enermax UCTB12N-R 53.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($9.98 @ Outlet PC)
Case Fan: Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan ($11.93 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS312-98 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($88.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Full (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($349.99 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 9 Wireless Laser Mouse ($163.84 @ Compuvest)
Total: $2474.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-06 02:11 EDT-0400)

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If I may make a suggestion,

If you haven't tried it already you can connect your Seagate to one of your sata 3 port to see if it makes a difference.

Your seagate will work on both sata 3 and 6 ports while your OCZ works on sata 6

Your board has 4 sata 3 ports and 2 sata 6 ports, verify if the two are connected to the sata 6 ports if they are connect your seagate to a sata 3 port and see if that makes a difference.

Hope that helps

Shatto

Shatto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

If I may make a suggestion,

If you haven't tried it already you can connect your Seagate to one of your sata 3 port to see if it makes a difference.

Your seagate will work on both sata 3 and 6 ports while your OCZ works on sata 6

Your board has 4 sata 3 ports and 2 sata 6 ports, verify if the two are connected to the sata 6 ports if they are connect your seagate to a sata 3 port and see if that makes a difference.

Hope that helps

They are indeed both on the sata 6 port, I'll try your suggestion later today after work, thanks