Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Radeon 7870 Driver Causing Graphics Glitch

• Please log in to reply

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I had this issue before formatting my hard drive, figured it was just a conflict with my old graphics driver.

The problem I am having is nothing major, but it is enough to bother me. The issue I'm having is with the mouse cursor. Whenever the arrow changes (to the link cursor/typing cursor,etc), it displays two small black bars, then back to being a normal cursor. It happens very quickly. I tried to record my screen using Fraps, but it didn't display in the video. I had to record my monitor using my camera. Also the other problem it presents, sometimes Firefox will have some "tearing" in the upper right corner, displaying black lines across the browser. It seems to be only these two things.

I am currently using AMD Catalyst 13.4. I rolled back to using version 12 and problem still persisted.

Not sure if I have the wrong driver installed or what. Like I said in the beginning, this was happening before I formatted my hard drive. It was a lot worse then. The graphic glitch doesn't seem to be as persistent now. But still annoying. And also, the arrow glitch happens outside of Firefox (On Chrome, IE, on the desktop).

I included a picture of the arrow glitch, not the greatest picture quality since it came from a video I took.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Arrow glitch (Hard to see, best I can get though):
Spoiler

Driver info:
Spoiler

"Tearing" that happens on Firefox:
Spoiler

Another example on a forum I visit:
Spoiler

Edited by Ech0es, 06 May 2013 - 10:23 PM.

Advertisements

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Just to let you know,there seems to be an issue with the AMD drivers for 7850/7870. This came down the pipe and i don't know if AMD has corrected this issue as of yet,all i know i haven't seen a fix. Also it was not clear if any of the newer driver updates are the issue or some conflict with other software..

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
The thing is I can't find anything about it. I tried searching and no one seems to really suffer from the same problem as I'm having. I don't know if it really is a problem with their drivers. I went back to using version 12 drivers, and I still had arrow glitch/tearing on firefox.

Rather annoying. I suppose I will never find a fix for this one...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
Hi Ech0es

Have you tried the AMD AutoDetect tool http://support.amd.c...uto_detect.aspx

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Yes, that is how I downloaded my drivers originally. Then I uninstalled, went to 12 to test if the problem still exists. Then went back to 13.

I just downloaded the tool to be sure, it says my drivers are up to date.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
What brand is the Radeon 7870 as in ASUS, HIS, Sapphire or XFX for example.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
HIS 7870 IceQ iTurbo, to be exact.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
Had a look to see if there was any hotfixes available for this but unfortunately there is not.

Can I ask whether you have NET Framework 4 installed http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=17851

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I have Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile installed. Is that the same?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
:thumbsup:
Apparently it helps with downloading and installing the drivers.

I will keep looking to see if I can find any suggestions for you.

Advertisements

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Thank you. I have no idea what could be causing this. Does it have to do with low voltage to the card? Something like that, maybe? I wouldn't think so, since I have zero problems when playing games. I am just at a loss here. :\

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
I would say no to low voltage as you would get issues in general use and lag when gaming, it is most likely a software issue and possibly CCC.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
CCC? I like how I always have these weird problems that seem to only happen to me...lol.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
Some documented CCC issues http://www.tomshardw...ured-installing

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Ok so should I remove all drivers and the CCC and just install the driver itself from HIS site? It appears even on there I'd be downloading the Catalyst manager.

http://www.hisdigita...duct1-103.shtml

Edited by Ech0es, 09 May 2013 - 01:02 PM.